Styling advice on my pine (pinus radiata... maybe)

gilly24

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm really not sure what direction to take this tree.

There are 5 branches coming off the main trunk. They have between 2-4 candles each.

My initial thoughts are to go really minimal and follow the curve of the trunk by removing the two branches on the right (first photo). It will also slow the bulge forming at the top of the trunk.

Any thoughts?

Also if anyone has an idea of exactly what this pine is it would be super helpful! The needles are around 50/50 between sets of 2 and 3. The 3s are typically lower down the branches.

FgM2P4P.jpg

jpySEHL.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Is that a current picture?

Sorce

Pine_nut

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My guess would be a Scott's pine, but I'm not an expert.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Pinus radiata, and or one of several different hybrids with radiata as one parent, are the most commonly planted species for tropical and subtropical pulpwood and timber plantations. I would expect Pinus radiata to be the most abundant pine in Australia. Radiata usually has 3 needles, but there's a 2 needle race, and when used as a hybrid, with Pinus muricata, which normally has 2 needles in a bundle, the offspring can have zones of both 2 and 3 needle bundles.

So if you hear hooves, assume horse, rather than zebra. You have (radiata x muricata).

For bonsai, general culture as for Japanese black pine woul apply. This will be a fairly reliable 2 flush pine in your Australia climate.

Top Bottom