Styling advice sought - should I ground-layer this twin-trunk pyracantha?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This tree has bothered me for a few years, as the trunk splits a little too high for my liking. I am very tempted to ground layer it so that the split happens just above ground level. From other forum posts it seems that pyracantha layers quite easily, so it shouldn't be too risky.

Any reason that I shouldn't layer it this spring? I have a habit of doing things to trees for the sake of doing things even if they aren't necessary or beneficial.

20211114_02_bonsai_pyracantha_01_cropped.jpeg

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ground layering is an option, but reduction of the left hand trunk is another. Pruning that trunk to its first branch would make a more compact tree, along with reducing the long apex branch on the other trunk by a third. As things are now, the second trunk is trying to create another apex, competing with the thicker trunk. Reducing it will make a more cohesive image for the tree.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'm a bit prone to ignoring the bonsai rules police force so that trunk doesn't look too bad to me.
I do agree with @rockm that the overall height and spread could be reduced - better trunk taper and a bit more compact as a tree.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thats a shame you dont like it, it looks like a decent tree with a natural looking split.
bit like a Hackberry I had.
If you can get it into a shallow pot and gradually flare out the base over time, will be even better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230215_130104_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230215_130104_Gallery.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ground layering is an option, but reduction of the left hand trunk is another. Pruning that trunk to its first branch would make a more compact tree, along with reducing the long apex branch on the other trunk by a third. As things are now, the second trunk is trying to create another apex, competing with the thicker trunk. Reducing it will make a more cohesive image for the tree.

Thanks for the advice. It is by no means in its final shape, so I will reduce it along the lines that you suggest.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm a bit prone to ignoring the bonsai rules police force so that trunk doesn't look too bad to me.
I do agree with @rockm that the overall height and spread could be reduced - better trunk taper and a bit more compact as a tree.

Many thanks! It is good to get a counter-opinion regarding the trunk. I'm possibly being overly-influenced by what I read is the "right" form for twin trunk trees.
Yes, I will reduce this a bit everywhere. This is still very much being developed, and when the photo was taken I had let it grow out a bit.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thats a shame you dont like it, it looks like a decent tree with a natural looking split.
bit like a Hackberry I had.
If you can get it into a shallow pot and gradually flare out the base over time, will be even better.
Oh - I remember that hackberry. You have a progression thread on it. Lovely tree!
It's good to know that you think that the split is natural. I will change my plans for this then.
Many thanks!

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, beautiful form... looking like old pyracantha.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh - I remember that hackberry. You have a progression thread on it. Lovely tree!
It's good to know that you think that the split is natural. I will change my plans for this then.
Many thanks!
We see trees like this all the time over here, this is an Oak.
the second twin starts a bit higher up

Attachments

• 20230215_164001.jpg
    20230215_164001.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230215_164340.jpg
    20230215_164340.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 27

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with rockm and other above comments and a redesign.
Will say though, if you want to layer it, you don't need to ground layer it. I layered a couple last year and other than ficus, it was the easiest and fastest plant I've layered.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two pyracantha I remember... one at my first home it was a twin trunk like this, the two main branches really showed nice smooth grey bark as there were no branches between. The second was a place I used to trim at, the owner had started one of those criss-cross espaliers on the entry wall. When new owners hated it I had to dig them out and they were fused in lower places. Too bad I had no idea how to transplants back then, it all went in the trash.

Top Bottom