BonsaiBay

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
First, yes, I know that the foliage isn't good. Please ignore the color for now. I haven't decided what I am going to do about that yet.

I collected this Juniper a couple years ago now and have yet to figure out what to do with it. That probably tells me everything I need to know but I'm not getting rid of it, so don't bother with that suggestion. It was put thru a lot during the collection as it was the first tree I collected. It took two days a week apart and the second day was around 100°. She earned a chance to be something, I just don't know what that is. As you can see the nebari is not the greatest, the trunk has no taper and is super straight. From the soil, it is 29" to the top of the foliage and 44" to the top of the dead trunk. I have no ideas of what to do with it, so I'd like the communities advise on what you'd do with it if it were yours and you had to do something with it.

Thank you in advance,

BonsaiBay WP_20180120_15_55_47_Rich.jpgWP_20180120_15_57_54_Rich.jpgWP_20180507_17_35_23_Raw.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20180507_17_35_23_Raw.jpg
    WP_20180507_17_35_23_Raw.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 1

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The first thing I would do is see if I could get some new green growth on that tree. That type of tree can remain green and look as if it is alive long after it is totally dead.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Before dpimg anything, use this growing season to nurture it to health. Once you see vigorous new growth, then you can style it. It will also give you time to think about its design

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Did you collect this tree from a landscape or the mountains?
You first need to figure out what it is going to take to make this tree healthy before you consider any design options.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Consider changing the planting angle so the interest of the base movement doesn’t terminate in a straight up trunk.
Then, I’d probably try a couple grafts this winter to bring the foliage down closer to the base and compact the design.
View attachment 194813
I totally agree with BVF. That base is nice! Graft on Kishu or Itoigawa and you can build an awesome tree!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
First, yes, I know that the foliage isn't good. Please ignore the color for now. I haven't decided what I am going to do about that yet.

I collected this Juniper a couple years ago now and have yet to figure out what to do with it. That probably tells me everything I need to know but I'm not getting rid of it, so don't bother with that suggestion. It was put thru a lot during the collection as it was the first tree I collected. It took two days a week apart and the second day was around 100°. She earned a chance to be something, I just don't know what that is. As you can see the nebari is not the greatest, the trunk has no taper and is super straight. From the soil, it is 29" to the top of the foliage and 44" to the top of the dead trunk. I have no ideas of what to do with it, so I'd like the communities advise on what you'd do with it if it were yours and you had to do something with it.

Thank you in advance,

BonsaiBay View attachment 194785View attachment 194786View attachment 194787
If it were mine, i would cut it back and place it in the landscape on the acreage. Grafting foliage takes time and healthy rootstock, variegated color foliage is rarely a strong candidate. Expect that budback will still be variegated in any area's left of the original rootstock.
Unless you are happy with the variegated look then you can cutback and redesign with new growth options over time. Junipers are great in that respect.

Top Bottom