Styling and culture decisions, risk, ROI, fear

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I ponder this stuff when everything is bedded for the winter. Not enough to do. Here is the scenario. A professional collects a prize yamadori. After a period of aftercare, you buy the material for $$$$. You also collected a similar yamadori, same size, species, and locale and have given it similar aftercare as well. Both trees are sitting on turntables in front of you in similar health. You will do the same style on both. Would you be more aggressive, conservative with one vs the other? Less willing to bring one to its full potential due to the risk of failure? I punt this out to all the Nutters out there to chew away on. Have fun.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They're both healthy and I know the aftercare each has I do them up both the same. Why hold back if they can take it.
If you don't bring one to its full potential then why spend the time and money in the first place?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They're both healthy and I know the aftercare each has I do them up both the same. Why hold back if they can take it.
If you don't bring one to its full potential then why spend the time and money in the first place?
I agree...but also know that until that time happens if ever. I will be sure of my horticultural ability...and sure footed on my journey. Then one will have no hesitation...and pure joy of the task at hand would come into play...instead of insecurity.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or if you have the money,pay to get it styled.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why do something today that could be done tomorrow.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
or not done tomorrow either?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chewed. A little tuff. But chewed.

I mean. These are the same 2 trees. I own them both? One I bought? One I collected?

Is this a question of how we weigh
time vs. money? as in..
Bought versus collected ?

I would say....both are gone.....it wouldn't matter anymore.

Now I have 2 trees, my only 2 like this, I would definitely be more gentle on one.
I would want one to live!

But this is from the image in my head. Of the tree that popped into my head.
I can not explain it, because it keeps changing.

Some of them are tall and slender, Just need wire. Some are in need of serious manipulation. Some have been seen here. Some are imagined fully. Some of them are a combination of real and imagined. Some deciduous. Some Conifers. And for some reason, household appliances now and again.

But these trees. There must be 2 also.

Tropical? Are there professional tropical collectors ?

Some need carving. Some cleaning.
Some PINCHING EVERY DAY!

But one thing for sure..........

The one that lives.........will have time to become excellent.

So I will be gentle to them both!

Sorce

Top Bottom