Styling and refinement videos?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm starting this thread specifically because of a shinpaku juniper that I have, but hopefully this can be a resource for others as well.

I actually signed up for Mirai Live as well as Bonsai U to check out what they have. TBH, Bonsai U seems a little skin and bones right now unless I'm missing a section with more video content, but they both have good stuff.

One of the problems, however, is that they're often working on these gorgeous pieces of material that - while you can extrapolate out what they're doing - doesn't reaaaaally translate into some of the smaller and more attainable pieces, at least in watching step by step how things come together.

I also love the type of video someone posted here showing someone making decisions about pruning on an established maple bonsai (I think it was John Geanangel but I can't find it now).

So I'm curious what videos beyond the Bjorn / Ryan nexus that you all look to for inspiration and guidance? It might be interesting to post specific videos rather than just channels, but I'll leave it up to the group to decide how to treat the thread - I know there have been a few youtube threads, but maybe something new is out there since those were on the radar for most folks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Anyways just to put another spin on it, I guess sometimes I think bonsai videos do this

DodWFQ9mQkVyWoKFa0ZIu12PYrPo3P2T0taaK-lgJCo.png

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There’s lots on YouTube.

If you want to see how It’s possible to carve on a stump to make something that can grow into a bonsai, watch Graham Potter.

If you want to watch someone take a pretty crappy piece of material and turn it into something that’s a little less crappy, watch Peter Chan.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've been watching Chan and Nigel Saunders but I think I'm looking for something beyond that.

Like Mirai may just end up being what I'm looking for, but the materials used are generally out of reach for most people I think. It'd be nice to see a series on more approachable trees by people who get as deep as Ryan does.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've been watching Chan and Nigel Saunders but I think I'm looking for something beyond that.

Like Mirai may just end up being what I'm looking for, but the materials used are generally out of reach for most people I think. It'd be nice to see a series on more approachable trees by people who get as deep as Ryan does.

look at all the mirai nursery stock videos for work on attainable material :) start there, there are some free ones from that series on youtube as well

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
look at all the mirai nursery stock videos for work on attainable material :) start there, there are some free ones from that series on youtube as well

I'll take a look, I've only been on Mirai Live for a couple days so I may have missed those!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Both Bjorn and Ryan have videos on starter material, but it takes a lot of time for trees to develop. So I'm expecting a couple follow ups the coming years.

But it's true that there isn't much out there. I used to watch a Japanese dude who owned a nursery and worked from raw stock. But he monetized his channel and everything is locked.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
doesn't reaaaaally translate into some of the smaller and more attainable

If it's not translating, it may be because the material, while small, is also not developed far enough for translation.

The Free Mirai Stream on Structural Wiring, and the info on pruning to get there is fantastic to get yourself to the point where translation can happen.

After that, reading everything on bonsai4me.com tells you what is going on during the transformation that doesn't yet translate.

With all that, ALL the Bjorn Videos are good to watch to catch more Shinmmpakkkuu stylings.

I don't think there is a single video to get there, but I don't think a chimp couldn't figure out how to style a tree after consuming that information.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If it's not translating, it may be because the material, while small, is also not developed far enough for translation.

The Free Mirai Stream on Structural Wiring, and the info on pruning to get there is fantastic to get yourself to the point where translation can happen.

After that, reading everything on bonsai4me.com tells you what is going on during the transformation that doesn't yet translate.

With all that, ALL the Bjorn Videos are good to watch to catch more Shinmmpakkkuu stylings.

I don't think there is a single video to get there, but I don't think a chimp couldn't figure out how to style a tree after consuming that information.

Sorce

yeah, I mean, I get it I guess. I think I don’t trust myself on some trees, maybe... the one i’m thinking of I believe is ready, it’s just that maybe I’m not ;)

or I just need to trust myself and go for it

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yet this what you will have to do. A video is nice. But it does not help you much in your own styling decisions, beyong the very basics.

I think part of it is that what I'm working on was sold as a bonsai and ostensibly could be considered roughly shaped. @Forsoothe! made the comment that I probably didn't have years to wait around thinking about it for clubs to open back up, but I think I'm going to wait til spring and see what happens, I think some clubs are already scheduling things in the hopes that we'll be able to meet then.

Other trees I don't have nearly the same problem with in terms of having at least some ideas as to how to tackle it, but I feel like junipers in particular kind of elude me and put me in a "I don't want to mess up so I'm just not going to touch it" mentality.

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Australian YouTube has a few good bonsai channels.

Like Bonsai Echo
Or bonsaiworx

There's also some great Japanese channels

Matsuyoshi bonsai
Bonsai CH (large bonsai nursery in JP)

lastly,
LOVE bonsai does quick videos, but it's great for inspiration and to see how a professional does big bends without fear.

LOVE bonsai

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Australian YouTube has a few good bonsai channels.

Like Bonsai Echo
Or bonsaiworx

There's also some great Japanese channels

Matsuyoshi bonsai
Bonsai CH (large bonsai nursery in JP)

lastly,
LOVE bonsai does quick videos, but it's great for inspiration and to see how a professional does big bends without fear.

LOVE bonsai

Fantastic, just the kind of thing I was looking for... I knew about Bonsaiworx but not any of the others!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
but I feel like junipers in particular kind of elude me and put me in a "I don't want to mess up so I'm just not going to touch it" mentality.
So, get a bunch of young evergreens that are sold for hedges. Work on those. Get experience.
At some point you will have to break your cold water fear and jump in.

ironliver316

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
badatusernames, I get what you mean. I'm in a similar boat. I've watched probably a hundred hours of video so far between youtube and Mirai since diving into bonsai a few months ago. I have a good grasp of the initial styling, like cleaning the tree, branch selection, and pruning the foliage in an alternating pattern for the "fan" look. But what I still can't wrap my head around is what comes after. Like how that single flat branch develops into a nice, dense, multi-layer pad over the next few years. It would be perfect to see a time lapsed video of the same tree every time it's worked on over a 5-6 year period, so we can really get a good sense of how the same branches develop due to the decisions that are made over time.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Progression threads?🤔
the videos are great btw ive watched tons, but before n after photos and progression threads are how you see trees going from A to B. etc

Last edited:
Top Bottom