Styling and refinement videos?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
if you go to Potters blog/gallery, you will see how a few of the Yews he worked on in the videos started from raw stumps
29 secs in you see how this taxus began from material that most would probably pass up

Bagels

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Australian YouTube has a few good bonsai channels.

Like Bonsai Echo
Or bonsaiworx
[/MEDIA]

I also really like Sam Doecke as I really love olive bonsai

and for the OP, Herons bonsai I think has a great collection for beginners. Peter Chan has a ton of videos on working nursery stock.

It's not videos but Bob Pressler has some good beginner tips as well:

And I can't emphasize enough how much in-person instruction will help once that becomes an option in your area.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ryan working a carp, this is good stuff and the best part is its free! How can one complain?

im getting tempted to dig up my Field maple raft now

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
the elm at 18:00 ive seen many times while browsing elm photos, but ive never seen it like this in this detail. the hollow trunk is epic. not one for the squeamish;)

regarding the other mirai vid i posted, its a great example of what can be done with material that most would get and not have the feintest idea of what to do with it. material like the hornbeam can be found all over. i imagine he will develop the hornbeam and sell it for a few $$$ in 2-3 years.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Regarding that last maple. how often do we see somebody get a maple that has two sub trunks. the tree above initially started out with two sub trunks. they ask should they cut off one of the trunks or where do i cut back to right. then the advice is erm cut off the left one or the right one.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Regarding that last maple. how often do we see somebody get a maple that has two sub trunks, they ask should they cut off one of the trunks or where do i cut back to right. then the advice is erm cut off the left one or the right one.
and tell them to put them in the ground if they want a fat trunk :)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That maple looks like a real tree, i think when people are giving advice or when someone is asking for advice they need to decide on what they like and that comes from looking at better trees and real trees even. usually the only advice given is how they can make the tree look more like a bonsai. thats cool, but there is often more options, the example above shows what can be achieved by choosing 'option 2'.

Top Bottom