Styling idea for an unknown species (sorry)

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's a tropical that I bought from Erik Wigert on vacation in FL. He said it's very similar to a boug in it's ability to root cuttings and other behavior. Sorry, I just can't remember what it was. Anyway, here are some pics. He gave me some thoughts on it--he said either a slanting style (obvious) and the other was to cut the trunk after the first branches (just above roots) and make it a shohin (a pretty impressive one by his and my own measure--I'm leaning toward this one myself). I just want to get others' opinions of it. Thanks!

Attachments

• Unknown species 001.jpg
    Unknown species 001.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Unknown species 002.jpg
    Unknown species 002.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 55
  • Unknown species 003.jpg
    Unknown species 003.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Unknown species 004.jpg
    Unknown species 004.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Unknown species 005.jpg
    Unknown species 005.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 38

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You will want to go with plan "B". In my opinion the trunk above the first branches is too straight with no taper - and it is not a fixable problem. I would chop it back hard and continue to develop the new structure you already have in development.

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i beleive that is a kind of privet i have 2 very very similar

TeKmInIbI

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
The long trunk is quite ugly, i'm not one to give advice... but if it were my tree, i would chop that back HARD.... which is what Bonsainut advised i believe ;)

Tiberious

Yamadori
Reaction score
If you get rid of that straight branch you could have a nice shohin in time.

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you, Tiberious. I appreciate the POSITIVE comment...

Actually, I did chop it back hard, as I saw what b-nut originally spoke of. I agreed, and thought that the long portion of the trunk would make another nice little tree once it roots! :) Once my camera battery charges, I'll post pics of it. It will make a killer shohin, I believe. There is a little branch selecting to do, so I hope you guys can help with that aspect. I'm having a little bit of a difficult time, as there are positives and negatives of each branch. You'll see what I mean once I can post the pics.

Also guys, spare me the "...it's as ugly as (insert name here)'s mama..." comments. I'd rather have constructive criticisms. Thanks.

Daniel

Last edited:

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Did you camera every get charged.....Would like to see the progress on this one.

Thanks

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I too look forward to more pics.... From what I can see in the first picture you don't really need to get rid of many, if any at all of the branches. They all can be wired and found a home for. The 2nd reason I would keep them all would be to help heal the cut and strengthen the tree after you just chopped off a big part of the tree.

I see 2 distinct designs for this tree, each a very good little tree in 5 years. You have a nice start though....

Oh, this tree is barely prettier than Harrys big white a.....:eek::eek::D:D hahaha

Top Bottom