Styling ideas for collected englemann spruce

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected this little spruce in the mountains this spring. Nothing spectacular, but I think the trunkline is interesting, as are the branches. 6EA44E07-FD28-45E6-84AA-6303B507775C.jpeg
One idea is to cut the trunk where the black line is, and use the branch with the arrow pointing at it as the new leader. CFAA1011-BD92-49B4-BA12-BD2C81BE3A13.jpeg

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another idea would be to cut as in the following picture, either wiring it up, or making a little windswept tree. 59269211-A7BE-467C-A61C-08962C831866.jpeg
The branches are very flexible and some have very interesting shapes.921426CD-B755-4B12-A402-9F14F362E449.jpeg317B4855-40B9-461E-A2DE-E26F08A47F03.jpeg

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
As you can see from my hand, this tree isn’t real big.View attachment 205159

Hi Tycoss,
I am no expert in Spruces, but I have an idea or 2 ?.
I know you want to get on to style this but if it were mine I would either plant back into ground or large bucket and let grow for a few years, preserving all lower branches so one of these would be your new trunk line. Yes, bummer, but needs more trunk and taper, and the grow then chop then grow then chop, and after 7-10 years you would be maybe ready to down pot slowly to bonsai pot and train etc.
I wouldn’t be that keen on either chop line from your photos as you need all needles to grow with.
Maybe someone else can give another opinion?
Charles

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It’s little, so I’d use as much of it as I can, and I like the tall slender spruce look. But if you just collected it this spring, you should probably wait on doing any work at all for another year. It looks very healthy, but I’d give it time to be sure it’s ready for work.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s little, so I’d use as much of it as I can, and I like the tall slender spruce look. But if you just collected it this spring, you should probably wait on doing any work at all for another year. It looks very healthy, but I’d give it time to be sure it’s ready for work.
The tree was collected this May. It won’t see shears or wire until October 2019. Just looking for ideas for now. I plan to keep it small and plant on a rock. If I need a big trunked spruce, I can collect them that way. Not really meant to look like a bonsai so much as a ‘real’ spruce. Thanks for your thoughts.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi Tycoss,
I am no expert in Spruces, but I have an idea or 2 ?.
I know you want to get on to style this but if it were mine I would either plant back into ground or large bucket and let grow for a few years, preserving all lower branches so one of these would be your new trunk line. Yes, bummer, but needs more trunk and taper, and the grow then chop then grow then chop, and after 7-10 years you would be maybe ready to down pot slowly to bonsai pot and train etc.
I wouldn’t be that keen on either chop line from your photos as you need all needles to grow with.
Maybe someone else can give another opinion?
Charles
But that would defeat the point of a yamadori, wouldn't it?
I think you can make an interesting shohin here. Shortening its height would go a long way in making the trunk look more in proportion. I like the bark and needle size of these trees. I collected one in the Colorado Rockies this spring! The advice I got is dont style it in the first two-three years, until yoy see more than one fat apical bud on each tip and buds down the branches. Next year, I am planning to fertilize mine heavily, trying to get it as strong as possible. Good luck with yours!

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Using the branch with arrow as leader is a good idea I think, taper will still be subtle but It will allow for a more tree like look at small size.
I’d keep a much longer stump though, one for safety and can always cut back more later or make a Jin.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
But that would defeat the point of a yamadori, wouldn't it?
I think you can make an interesting shohin here. Shortening its height would go a long way in making the trunk look more in proportion. I like the bark and needle size of these trees. I collected one in the Colorado Rockies this spring! The advice I got is dont style it in the first two-three years, until yoy see more than one fat apical bud on each tip and buds down the branches. Next year, I am planning to fertilize mine heavily, trying to get it as strong as possible. Good luck with yours!

All I can say is that I saw a trunk with the size of the OP’s thumb as a guide, then wondered why this thread had the word “yamadori” in it. And my thought was “how to make this more believable”.
Anyway, my opinion might not be in line with others, and I am ok with that ?.
Charles

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t think I called this tree yamadori, I only said it was collected in the mountains. I agree that it doesn’t have the age or character to qualify as real yamadori, but it has more than a lot of nursery spruce it’s size. I actually have a number of trees dug from the wild that are fairly small and young. They are destined to be shohin, mame or just practice. Here is an even smaller one, complete with ‘shari’.C8E282B6-DCBB-4570-8676-34D416C3950D.jpegEBE6D5B9-478A-4DE3-9A3E-A10F327C9652.jpeg

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don’t think I called this tree yamadori, I only said it was collected in the mountains. I agree that it doesn’t have the age or character to qualify as real yamadori, but it has more than a lot of nursery spruce it’s size. I actually have a number of trees dug from the wild that are fairly small and young. They are destined to be shohin, mame or just practice. Here is an even smaller one, complete with ‘shari’.View attachment 205462View attachment 205461
Not to be pedantic, but yamadori literalli means "tree from the mointains" so... (ok, that was pedantic! ?)

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Not to be pedantic, but yamadori literalli means "tree from the mointains" so... (ok, that was pedantic! ?)
That is just the very basic meaning without any of the real meaning of yamadori. I think the op was correct in just calling it collected from the mountain. Maybe one day he will be calling it yamadori.

I don’t think anyone will calling you pedantic though with that spelling ??

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
[QUOTE="Saddler, post: 587169, member:

I don’t think anyone will calling you pedantic though with that spelling ??[/QUOTE]
True that! ????

Top Bottom