Styling ideas... Twin-trunk maybe?

silvertab

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Got this shimpaku from a nursery and when I saw it at first, I was entertaining the idea of maybe keeping the 2 main branches and see if I could do something with them...

Now that I am back home with it and looking at it a bit more in details, I'm not so sure it was a good idea haha... However, I already have an informal upright shimpaku and was looking to try something different this time, but it might be (read: it probably is) a bad idea... I really don't have any experience with any styles other than informal upright (I'm still very much a newbie), but was wondering if it would be worth considering something different than informal upright for this tree? (I know it's probably pretty late in the season to do anything serious to it so I'll probably just let it grow for now!)

Here's a little 360 degree video of the tree:
And some pictures:
IMG_2494.jpg IMG_2496.jpg IMG_2498.jpg IMG_2501.jpg

Any ideas/opinions/comments welcomed!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Twin trunk would work with this one.
A cascade would be possible as well, but it would take some more time. The largest branch would become the lowest branch (in my view).
Windswept is possible, depending on the flexibility of the smallest branch.

Or, go with the extreme. Make a bowtie; bend the smallest branch in front or behind the larger, then jin the largest branch and develop the smaller one into a new tree. I know some people don't like that. But I think it's best in design brainstorming to go way over board, and then look back at the more conservative options. Sometimes, the extreme option delivers. Sometimes it doesn't. I did some extreme juniper work and realized this week that it will take another 5 years to really show off. I personally don't mind that.

I'm seeing a lot of potential, enough to work with at least. You made a good pick!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you take off the two uprights you’d have a hell of a slanting.

Or, keep the longest upright since it has some trunk movement, take out the other two and change the potting angle to make it a more extreme slant.

silvertab

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Twin trunk would work with this one.
A cascade would be possible as well, but it would take some more time. The largest branch would become the lowest branch (in my view).
Windswept is possible, depending on the flexibility of the smallest branch.

Or, go with the extreme. Make a bowtie; bend the smallest branch in front or behind the larger, then jin the largest branch and develop the smaller one into a new tree. I know some people don't like that. But I think it's best in design brainstorming to go way over board, and then look back at the more conservative options. Sometimes, the extreme option delivers. Sometimes it doesn't. I did some extreme juniper work and realized this week that it will take another 5 years to really show off. I personally don't mind that.

I'm seeing a lot of potential, enough to work with at least. You made a good pick!

Thanks! A lot of great ideas in there! Cascade and windswept are 2 styles I've been wanting to try for a while! I can definitely see a cascade with the biggest branch since it already has a noticeable curve in it! I guess it would require a rather dramatic potting angle haha!

If you take off the two uprights you’d have a hell of a slanting.

Hmmm I actually really like that idea too... not to mention, the roots are already considerably more developed on the side opposite of the slant direction (possibly hard to tell from the pics).
grr so many options, should've gotten a couple more trees...

I'm having more and more difficulty seeing a twin trunk with it but it's without a doubt the lack of experience talking... Cascade, windswept or slanting suddenly all sound like more interesting options! :D

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only larger trunk has interesting movement. Possibly best to use this one with second one for jin, lowest smaller branch could be bent up(not up ward but movement added)for second trunk, 3rd low trunk below smaller branch removed;). Just MHO but is your tree to work.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would take it slow and keep all options open for now keep looking at it for a while
Make a plan start executing that plan late winter/early spring its hard but youll be rewarded with the best result in the end

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to check out Brian Van Fleets threads on his shimpaku junipers.
They helped me immensely with one. Gave me a direction to shoot for and more importantly how to get there.
I sold it before I got to work on it though. Needed me a Mugo and Scots more.

Top Bottom