Styling ideas

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this juniper from George Muranaka's fields. I was attracted to its nice base. I originally intended to cut it by about 2/3's and make it a shohin (this smaller tree isn't apparent in the photo). George thought that it was a mistake to lose the long 180 degree curve in the trunk. My thought is that it is too unnatural looking.

I am also considering cutting off the top half and using the first large branch on the left as the top of a leaning tree.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Will accept ideas and criticisms until next spring.

Attachments

• bonsai-007.jpg
    bonsai-007.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 132
  • bonsai-010.jpg
    bonsai-010.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 118

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
barry,

I'd think that with the right shari on the trunk the 180 degree turn would give the impression of an old collected juniper that has struggled with the elements. Just my 2cts.

Ray

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I dunno. You seem to lose most of your taper immediately above that first low branch on the right.

I think you were right that this has to become a shohin, or at least quite a bit shorter. How tall is the tree now? Maybe a photo with a ruler? More pictures from more angles might help.

You probably wilol want to explore different and quite radical planting angles, too.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Looks like a windswept ( to the right ) to me. Bend a couple of left branches across the trunk and hide the lack of taper. Or say it's Chinese. I'm getting kinda sick of rules anyway.

Reaction score
I would have to agree with ray... My personal opinion is that perhaps you should have bought another tree if you just wanted to make a shohin... Not trying to be insulting... but it's easy to just lob it off !!! Why not try and work with the cards one is dealt, and find the tree that is burried in there??? Until you have figured it out I would just put it aside...

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would have to agree with ray... My personal opinion is that perhaps you should have bought another tree if you just wanted to make a shohin... Not trying to be insulting... but it's easy to just lob it off !!! Why not try and work with the cards one is dealt, and find the tree that is burried in there??? Until you have figured it out I would just put it aside...

I can't agree with you on this one. I think that a fine shohin can be made with an impressive base if you are willing to lose the top. Often its the only way to get a great nebari on a small tree. Sometimes its hard to pay for a tree and cut 85% away (I know you can always air layer but I'd rather not).

Reaction score
Then by all means chop away... since you seem to have already made up your mind.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well, if you're going to chop, there are a couple things to consider first, I think
Where is the movement in the water lines?
If it were me, I'd be planning the future Shari and the Jin Before chopping, so you can redirect if losing that branch endanger an important vein
Can I get a nice feature Jin, or even a Ten Jin, out of the chopped remains of the branch as is?
Maybe not. I'd wire some movement into the base of the branch you're planning on whacking before giving it a go.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Barry,
Although I see good shohin potential. I think that maybe there is more potential in a slightly larger design. If it were my tree, I would probably jin the bottom branch o n the right and then chop right above the second branch on the left. Then I would tilt the tree towards the right. At this point, I would develop that second branch as the entire rest of the tree. I think that it would be a very nice and natural design within about 5-6 years..

I created some virts to show what I mean.

Rob

Attachments

• bonsai-007[1].jpg
    bonsai-007[1].jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Copy (2) of bonsai-007[1].jpg
    Copy (2) of bonsai-007[1].jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Copy of bonsai-007[1].jpg
    Copy of bonsai-007[1].jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 39

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, if you're going to chop, there are a couple things to consider first, I think
Where is the movement in the water lines?
If it were me, I'd be planning the future Shari and the Jin Before chopping, so you can redirect if losing that branch endanger an important vein
Can I get a nice feature Jin, or even a Ten Jin, out of the chopped remains of the branch as is?
Maybe not. I'd wire some movement into the base of the branch you're planning on whacking before giving it a go.

Nice suggestion about the vein. I'm just a beginner in determining the exact postion of the veins, but it would certainly be worth my while to find out!

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello Barry,
Although I see good shohin potential. I think that maybe there is more potential in a slightly larger design. If it were my tree, I would probably jin the bottom branch o n the right and then chop right above the second branch on the left. Then I would tilt the tree towards the right. At this point, I would develop that second branch as the entire rest of the tree. I think that it would be a very nice and natural design within about 5-6 years..

I created some virts to show what I mean.

Rob

Thanks for the virt's, Rob. The first one is very similar to what I thought of doing. However that slant angle is interesting, I'll prop it up in that direction and stare at it for a couple of months. Thank you for your input.

Top Bottom