Styling issue with newly acquired mugo

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I feel the same about the roots. I saw the tree the first time and just loved it. Saw it again a few months later with new spring growth, and yet again looking healthy as can be a few months after that when I finally acquired it. So I know the roots are happy in the pot. Yes they are very thin though and we haven’t hit real heat yet this summer. I’ll throw moss of some kind on there for extra protection.

Thanks!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The roots need developement as stated by others but the branch in front of the rock, leave it. It looks natural enough and adds another dimension of depth. Bonsai is not all about equations.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I feel the same about the roots. I saw the tree the first time and just loved it. Saw it again a few months later with new spring growth, and yet again looking healthy as can be a few months after that when I finally acquired it. So I know the roots are happy in the pot. Yes they are very thin though and we haven’t hit real heat yet this summer. I’ll throw moss of some kind on there for extra protection.

Thanks!
Not just for protection. Roots of most trees need to be underground to thicken up very much. Wrapped in moss can simulate "underground".

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I like the way you have added the rock to the Mugo and the pruning is perfect, keep up the good work, it shows great imagination and bravery to post here after the work you have put into your Mugo project.....
I agree that that one branch in front right should be removed to show more rock, it will add to the context....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like the way you have added the rock to the Mugo and the pruning is perfect, keep up the good work, it shows great imagination and bravery to post here after the work you have put into your Mugo project.....
I agree that that one branch in front right should be removed to show more rock, it will add to the context....
It’s a project still in development yes, although I bought the tree already mounted to the rock, got rid of certain things I’m not a fan of and working on which style to go with... and keeping it health is about all I’ve done so far

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Well as long as you consider it Still in Development I will add that I think Re-Potting it would be a Plus+...Maybe 2 1/2 to 3 times the Width but leave the pot depth or Height the same, add some Moss and Ground Cover to compliment the Overall look. I would simply Re-Wire that Branch in Front, moving it out of the way of the Front View...
Now this is Radical but I am not enthralled with the Roots coming down the sides of the Rock, I would eliminate them to show off the Trunk/Rock, maybe adding some Moss to the Rock Grooves....Let me add that I would Slip Re-Pot, do not disturb the existing Root System at all....

Last edited:

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I hope you don’t mind me chiming in, as I am early in my bonsai journey, but I think there can be benefit in that some of my discovery/growth is still fresh (and ongoing). Call it peer support if you will.
...got rid of certain things I’m not a fan of and working on which style to go with...
I have done the exact same thing and I can say with confidence that working on a tree before having a direction in mind, at least for me, has done far more harm than good (refer to the sad tree I posted in the Hinoki Madness thread).

My goal (still a work in progress as I am a very impulsive person) is to take the time to study the material and do as little as possible beside keep it healthy until I have a clear direction. Sometimes it is obvious, sometimes it can take a while. My record so far is over a year of just looking at a tree before making any attempt at styling it.

One thing that helps me is to consider the Taoist concept of “Pu” (the “uncarved block”). In this context, the idea is that there is virtually unlimited potential in the raw material. Think about it, the potential for almost every possible bonsai exists inside every seed. It is by growing and working on the material (i.e. carving the block) that it achieves purpose and direction, but the process also reduces its potential.
Would you start carving a block of wood before you decided what you want it to become?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not sure wh
Well as long as you consider it Still in Development I will add that I think Re-Potting it would be a Plus+...Maybe 2 1/2 to 3 times the Width but leave the pot depth or Height the same, add some Moss and Ground Cover to compliment the Overall look. I would simply Re-Wire that Branch in Front, moving it out of the way of the Front View...
Now this is Radical but I am not enthralled with the Roots coming down the sides of the Rock, I would eliminate them to show off the Trunk/Rock, maybe adding some Moss to the Rock Grooves....Let me add that I would Slip Re-Pot, do not disturb the existing Root System at all....
i think it was potted this last spring so I really don’t want to repot it at this time. Plus I like the pot. Not a big fan of moss bc i go by look and feel of the substrate to know when to water.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure wh
i think it was potted this last spring so I really don’t want to repot it at this time. Plus I like the pot. Not a big fan of moss bc i go by look and feel of the substrate to know when to water.
It can stay in that pot for years.
And it should fir at least 2 before you disturb it again.
Leave it.
Also,if you can keep moss alive on the surface of your soil you are watering too much.
Moss should die in a bonsai pot after a couple of weeks.

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have you considered training the tree upward? Many times I refer to natural settings looking for perspective options. This photo, which I culled from the internet, is one of my favorites. It was likely taken in the Huangshan Mountains in China. Sure, there is much more mountain peak than tree, however, changing the tree to mountain ratio would still suggest a lone tree on a single mountain peak. Just my suggestion.

Attachments

• huangshan pine.jpg
    huangshan pine.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I hope you don’t mind me chiming in, as I am early in my bonsai journey, but I think there can be benefit in that some of my discovery/growth is still fresh (and ongoing). Call it peer support if you will.

I have done the exact same thing and I can say with confidence that working on a tree before having a direction in mind, at least for me, has done far more harm than good (refer to the sad tree I posted in the Hinoki Madness thread).

My goal (still a work in progress as I am a very impulsive person) is to take the time to study the material and do as little as possible beside keep it healthy until I have a clear direction. Sometimes it is obvious, sometimes it can take a while. My record so far is over a year of just looking at a tree before making any attempt at styling it.

One thing that helps me is to consider the Taoist concept of “Pu” (the “uncarved block”). In this context, the idea is that there is virtually unlimited potential in the raw material. Think about it, the potential for almost every possible bonsai exists inside every seed. It is by growing and working on the material (i.e. carving the block) that it achieves purpose and direction, but the process also reduces its potential.
Would you start carving a block of wood before you decided what you want it to become?
Well bar branches, no matter the style, I just can’t do! Somebody stated above they have bar branches in some of their best trees. Those trees would have to be reworked if they were in my garden. Very unpleasing to MY eye. If they gotta go, why wait?

As far as style goes, it’s a cascade/semi. Not sure of branch placement or the look of the finished tree I’m going for. But it’s for sure a cascader

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Please chime in! That's good shit.

Sorce

Pine_nut

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How is this tree doing today? I'd love to see a photo.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How is this tree doing today? I'd love to see a photo.
Yeah no problem. Havnt done anything to it. Just letting it recover. Decided the soil would suffice for another season so I left it alone. Might rewrie soon. Probably repot next summer

Pine_nut

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah no problem. Havnt done anything to it. Just letting it recover. Decided the soil would suffice for another season so I left it alone. Might rewrie soon. Probably repot next summer
I think it looks great! What part of St. Louis are you in? Are you in the St. Louis Bonsai club?

Top Bottom