Styling Kotobuki suggestions

Awpearce

Seedling
Reaction score
Was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions with how you would style this Kotobuki. I think I would make the branch angled down into a Jin and choose a new front

Attachments

• 26E4E943-7728-4AD3-ABFD-82A153B5E8A2.jpeg
    26E4E943-7728-4AD3-ABFD-82A153B5E8A2.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 117
  • 12D91FD6-D8C5-44C8-9545-7C750329379F.jpeg
    12D91FD6-D8C5-44C8-9545-7C750329379F.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 113
  • C215C58B-9442-49CF-9731-AD32B76C1C68.jpeg
    C215C58B-9442-49CF-9731-AD32B76C1C68.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 100
  • EFCC2736-73C3-4306-BA21-BA6C5537501F.jpeg
    EFCC2736-73C3-4306-BA21-BA6C5537501F.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 995671F3-5A82-4390-B8E3-682A2B26C640.jpeg
    995671F3-5A82-4390-B8E3-682A2B26C640.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 105

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is great material. I would be cautious about removing the lowest branch, as I think it is well developed and could work in nicely to a finished design. From the pictures you shared, it seems the biggest design consideration is getting the apex and the lowest branch to move in same direction. Do you have a club nearby, or an experienced individual that you could review your tree with in person?

Awpearce

Seedling
Reaction score
This is great material. I would be cautious about removing the lowest branch, as I think it is well developed and could work in nicely to a finished design. From the pictures you shared, it seems the biggest design consideration is getting the apex and the lowest branch to move in same direction. Do you have a club nearby, or an experienced individual that you could review your tree with in person?
I’m in the process of moving to San Diego, so hopefully I can join one there. Thanks

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
San Diego has a large and active club. Have fun!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is one of those rare circumstances when I would need to see the tree in person before I would want to make a definitive recommendation.

So much depends on your front and how you angle the planting, after which the branching and the foliage outline will fall into place. From the 2D photos, I find image #2 most appealing, and the primary branch would still definitely be needed/used. Regardless of what you do, the apex is currently too heavy, and it is easy to let it lead your eye astray.

You can see how, using image #2 for the front, just a little work in reducing the right side while laying out and arranging the left side gives you a much more balanced composition.

koto2.jpg

I would definitely NOT remove the lowest branch unless someone with a heckuva lot of experience convinced me otherwise.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well said, I too like this front. Clean up the first trunk turn (lighten crossing foliage), which reinforces the left primary branch. Lighten apex, bring forward an leftward. Then all the secondary branches will fall into place.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I agree with @Bonsai Nut
I definitely think you need that lowest branch, it is very well developed, it sets the theme for the tree. You almost have 2 unrelated trees, the bottom 2 thirds are one tree, and the top third goes in a completely different direction.

You could easily remove most of the upper third of the tree.

But this tree is high enough quality, that I would definitely try to get it in front of a professional bonsai artist. There are a number of great artists in southern California.. I would do nothing drastic until after you are settled in San Diego and have gotten in touch with the local bonsai community.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai Import Company?

Not sure what you would be "styling", tree seems pretty well laid out as is.
If your thinking of removing that lower branch, don't. As mentioned, try to get a "professional" set of eyes on it.
Moving to San Diego? California tends to frown on "plant material" from outside the state.
#2 is your front, any other angle will cause the whole piece to seem as if it's falling away from the viewer.
Do you have much experience with JBP care and maintenance techniques?

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMO... removing that branch would be an example of making poor decisions based on the current pot.

The pot is too small for the rest of the tree alone, so that branch seems too large.

With a proper sized pot, I reckon the decision will be correctly made.

I think it's a keeper.

Sorce

Awpearce

Seedling
Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the advice, now that I look at it, I agree that the lowest branch is too important for the overall style of the tree. I agree that the pot is a little small for the tree, perhaps a larger rectangular one will work better

Awpearce

Seedling
Reaction score
Bonsai Import Company?

Not sure what you would be "styling", tree seems pretty well laid out as is.
If your thinking of removing that lower branch, don't. As mentioned, try to get a "professional" set of eyes on it.
Moving to San Diego? California tends to frown on "plant material" from outside the state.
#2 is your front, any other angle will cause the whole piece to seem as if it's falling away from the viewer.
Do you have much experience with JBP care and maintenance techniques?
Yeah it’s from Bonsai import company, I’ve had a couple jbp for a couple years now, but I want something a little more developed so I just want to make sure a large purchase like this is going into something good. Thanks

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
My only piece of advice... don't lose that lowest left branch!! It's the most important branch on the tree. I'd be working to break the foliage mass up into more defined pads going forward. Fwiw, I like the current front because the nebari is good and the trunk has good movement, as well.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
IMO... removing that branch would be an example of making poor decisions based on the current pot.

The pot is too small for the rest of the tree alone, so that branch seems too large.

With a proper sized pot, I reckon the decision will be correctly made.

I think it's a keeper.

Sorce

I made the pot a little more in scale with the tree...

koto3.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here are my thoughts:

The first branch is really heavy as compared to the diameter of the trunk. And it appears to be the only downward hanging branch. Now, there’s nothing you can do to make it “thinner”, but you need to try to de-emphasize that aspect. So, perhaps pull the other branches down a bit so that they are not horizontal. And perhaps see if you can shorten the primary branch a bit. It just seems that branch doesn’t match the rest of the tree.

Relative to the size of the trunk, you have a couple of longish branches. Where the foliage is a long way from the trunk. As a general rule, fat trunks can “balance” longer branches. Thin trunks look better with shorter branches. Just something to keep in mind. Your tree has dense foliage, which is typical of Kotobuki. But, relative to the apparant mass of the foliage, the trunk looks thin. I think a good thinning of the foliage will bring the tree back into balance.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Another idea tilting it to the left to create a semi-cascade. If the nebari is strong enough, i don't think we'll have the unpleasant feeling that the tree is about to fall down (?) ->

____092.jpg

Top Bottom