Styling my Larch

Reaction score
Hi there!

I got this Larch for my first workshop, wich i will be doing next saturday! I am realy excited so i made a few drawings wich i will post later on!
So the reason that i post my larch is that i am curious if there is somebody with a very cool, extraordinary and unusual styling idea.

I am sometimes limmited in my creativity because i lack experience in serious bending, styling etc.

My question is, is there somebody with no creative boundries :), who can give me an idea for the first styling of this larch? ofcourse i will post the end result next saturday.

The tree has a great nebari from multiple sides. The trunk of the tree is very straight and splits up in 2 branches as you can see in the pictures.IMG_5879.JPGIMG_5880.JPGIMG_5881.JPGIMG_5882.JPGIMG_5883.JPGIMG_5884.JPG

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Do you live in the northern hemisphere?

I wouldn't style a larch in summer, I usually do it just before budbreak, here around the month of March...

Reaction score
Do you live in the northern hemisphere?

I wouldn't style a larch in summer, I usually do it just before budbreak, here around the month of March...
hmm thats interesting, i live in Holland. I am being guided by a bonsai teacher and it was his idea to do the styling now.. kinda trust the guy haha. I will do the research on it! thanks

ralf

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am on the same line as Alain.

The last few moths of the growing season ie from now till the Oct/November are just about accumulation of the nutrients for the next growing season. Removing some branches and wiring some others = reduced amount of folliage and redirecting the tree from accumulation to the repair of the wounds ( callusing and cracks on branches caused by wiring ). That's the physiology as I understand. Then there is a simple practical point - you can see the structure of branches much better in the winter/early spring. Neverthless you can do as you like if the tree is strong and you know how to deal with it. Not good for the tree in any case.

Reaction score
I am on the same line as Alain.

The last few moths of the growing season ie from now till the Oct/November are just about accumulation of the nutrients for the next growing season. Removing some branches and wiring some others = reduced amount of folliage and redirecting the tree from accumulation to the repair of the wounds ( callusing and cracks on branches caused by wiring ). That's the physiology as I understand. Then there is a simple practical point - you can see the structure of branches much better in the winter/early spring. Neverthless you can do as you like if the tree is strong and you know how to deal with it. Not good for the tree in any case.

This sounds correct, sadly enough.. haha
I am still expanding my knowledge about the fysiology.
I actually know this but i keep forgetting things like this because of the enthousiams i feel on styling this (or any other) tree.
I geuss i need to practice 'the waiting game' more..

Thanks for the heads up

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would tilt, and go for a long slender tree. Bend the tip a little. Something along this line:

Straight up:
larch.jpg

Tilted:
larch2.jpg

You could style now, and I know the guy who is helping you. He knows what he is doing. But yeah, better would be a little later, once foliage drops. Easier to wire, easier to keep overview.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Then there is a simple practical point - you can see the structure of branches much better in the winter/early spring.

Yes, that's also exactly what I had in mind.

But if you dn't mess with the roots, it should be OK.

It's not a pine though, the leaves are very soft, you can't but damage some of them, they will look ugly after wiring. Not to mention the buds that you could lose.

And I only have Larix x eurolepis, yours is perhaps Larix decidua?

Reaction score
Yes, that's also exactly what I had in mind.

But if you dn't mess with the roots, it should be OK.

It's not a pine though, the leaves are very soft, you can't but damage some of them, they will look ugly after wiring. Not to mention the buds that you could lose.

And I only have Larix x eurolepis, yours is perhaps Larix decidua?
I know its a larix haha, i will ask the specific species next saturday.
Im still doubting if i should style this now in stead of when the leaves drop off.
I am heaving a hard timing adapting to the 'long term' thinking proces with bonsai.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am heaving a hard timing adapting to the 'long term' thinking proces with bonsai.
Hm.. You cal between now or november long term thinking? Then I am not sure bonsai will really be your thing. I have plants here which I have had in a pot for two years, and it will take another 1-2 years before it is in a stage that I can do the first styling..

Reaction score
Hm.. You cal between now or november long term thinking? Then I am not sure bonsai will really be your thing. I have plants here which I have had in a pot for two years, and it will take another 1-2 years before it is in a stage that I can do the first styling..
The thing is, i get realy excited about bonsai, styling, learning and especially DOING. A lot of times i find myself to excites to remember some groundrules but i think i will get there. Feeling really passionate about bonsai and actually cant stop thinking about it. I think I just need some time to get myself used to 'the waiting' game.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
used to 'the waiting' game.

There's always time for that!

Better to get used to the killing fucking trees game! Lol!

But seriously...get some small cheap junipers to wire and hack to death.

This is a pretty interesting larch.

I'd lose the heavy of the top branches.

Welcome to Crazy!

S

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The early bird gets the worm!
That means, that the early bird gets a reward. But what about the worms? The early worm is the one being eaten. The late worm has some time to relax, chill out, watch some birds fight over it's dead brother.
It's a matter of perspective.
Your teacher might say: wire it now, so you don't damage buds, the tree has time to recover during the growing season and make new ones if something does get damaged.
Others say: wire it later, so you don't damage the foliage and it has energy to recover after the dormant season, it will just make new buds next spring.
Both are wrong. Both are right as well. It depends on which way you look at it.

When in doubt, it's better to do nothing and observe. Be the late worm. Hardlopers zijn doodlopers. Something like that.

Most gardencenters (like overvecht) are selling lots of junipers. Some even sell larches. Yesterday I bought a 12-15 year old Rocky mountain juniper for 14 euro's with LOADS of work needed to turn it into a bonsai. If you want to fool around, and go crazy by doing stuff, go buy some of those plants. This larch can be your meesterproef project, whereas the other garden center plants are just training material.

Reaction score
There's always time for that!

Better to get used to the killing fucking trees game! Lol!

But seriously...get some small cheap junipers to wire and hack to death.

This is a pretty interesting larch.

I'd lose the heavy of the top branches.

Welcome to Crazy!

S

Thats a better way of saying haha, I made my mind up and will get something else to practice with in the workshop and wait on the juniper!

Nice to see people in this community give lots of reply's, thoughts and input! appreciate it!

Reaction score
The early bird gets the worm!
That means, that the early bird gets a reward. But what about the worms? The early worm is the one being eaten. The late worm has some time to relax, chill out, watch some birds fight over it's dead brother.
It's a matter of perspective.
Your teacher might say: wire it now, so you don't damage buds, the tree has time to recover during the growing season and make new ones if something does get damaged.
Others say: wire it later, so you don't damage the foliage and it has energy to recover after the dormant season, it will just make new buds next spring.
Both are wrong. Both are right as well. It depends on which way you look at it.

When in doubt, it's better to do nothing and observe. Be the late worm. Hardlopers zijn doodlopers. Something like that.

Most gardencenters (like overvecht) are selling lots of junipers. Some even sell larches. Yesterday I bought a 12-15 year old Rocky mountain juniper for 14 euro's with LOADS of work needed to turn it into a bonsai. If you want to fool around, and go crazy by doing stuff, go buy some of those plants. This larch can be your meesterproef project, whereas the other garden center plants are just training material.

Thanks for the input! i decided to be a fat waiting worm, i will get something else to practice with for next saturday! hardlopers zijn doodlopers ja haha;)

I live near overvecht so i will take a visit! thanks for the info!

Reaction score
NOT however, the larch..

Nah, you just have too few trees.

Im still living with my parents, my dad doesnt like all the weird projects.
But maybe its time to replace some old projects en start some new! i will keep you guys updated.

Thanks for the reply

Top Bottom