Styling of a yamadori Pinus Sylvestris

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this Pinus Sylvestris this spring and it's my very first pine.
Previous owner collected it himself some 25-28 years ago and has styled it himself at some point in the past.
There is a wire cutter in one of the pictures to give sense of its size.

Since the roots and substrate are reportedly in good condition, I decided to style the tree before attending to the messy roots.
Big parts of the foilage was hanging downwards and had become weakened, so it was important to get this sorted sooner rather than later.

I took the tree to a workshop hosted by Jan Culek of the Czech Republic last month and we decided on the design as shown.
I'm such a newbie, especially when it comes to design and wirering, so thankfully Jan helped me out a LOT.

The pine will hopefully restore strength in the weaker areas during next season, and if it does, I'm hoping to start root work in 2021.

I gotta say I had a lot of fun working on this tree!
Learned a ton too from all the practical help I got and from the knowledge Jan passed on.
Good times indeed :)

Attachments

• IMG_7212.JPG
    IMG_7212.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_7165.JPG
    IMG_7165.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_7162.JPG
    IMG_7162.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 141

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I bought this Pinus Sylvestris this spring and it's my very first pine.
Previous owner collected it himself some 25-28 years ago and has styled it himself at some point in the past.
There is a wire cutter in one of the pictures to give sense of its size.

Since the roots and substrate are reportedly in good condition, I decided to style the tree before attending to the messy roots.
Big parts of the foilage was hanging downwards and had become weakened, so it was important to get this sorted sooner rather than later.

I took the tree to a workshop hosted by Jan Culek of the Czech Republic last month and we decided on the design as shown.
I'm such a newbie, especially when it comes to design and wirering, so thankfully Jan helped me out a LOT.

The pine will hopefully restore strength in the weaker areas during next season, and if it does, I'm hoping to start root work in 2021.

I gotta say I had a lot of fun working on this tree!
Learned a ton too from all the practical help I got and from the knowledge Jan passed on.
Good times indeed :)
Great start, nice work. Looking forward to the progress!

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I definitely have Pinus envy. I love Scots pine and the shape of this one is beautiful.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice natural image, i envision this tree maybe leaning over a cliff top/river bank.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The before and after is a great transformation. Did you just trim the top for now or do wiring too?

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The before and after is a great transformation. Did you just trim the top for now or do wiring too?

Thank you, it was so fun to see the tree transform as it progressed :)
The whole tree, including the top, is wired except for just a few branches here and there that didn't require wirering.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the front you chose!

It seems folks have been using the trunk as a handle making the other side rather barkless. Be careful not to handle that trunk!

100% Sylvestris?

If so the needles oughta reduce some, I can't wait to see this in a couple seasons!

Great eye!

That's a lovely tree!

Score Yay For Norway!

Sorce

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you @sorce , I saw it, loved it and just had to buy it :)

Hmm, good question; I think it's pure Sylvestris, but I can't be 100% sure.
As far as I know there are only 3 types of pine growing in the wild here;
- Sylvestris (grown naturally for some 9000 years), Mugo (introduced in big numbers about 160 years ago) and Shore Pine (introduced about 140 years ago).

Oh, you can bet that I'm super carefull when handling this tree.
My biggest fear is to wreck it in my first year after previous owner kept it alive for maybe 28 years 😱

I'm hoping smaller needles can develop over time too!

Top Bottom