Styling recommendations? Don Egolf Chinese Redbud.

Reaction score
I came across this gnarly stunted redbud today at a greenhouse and was just drawn to it. For $35 I just could not pass it up. But what to do with it? It is set to flower here soon with buds swelling all over the place. I am looking for any and all suggestions!

Thanks
Ryan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 58
Reaction score
I guess I also need to know if I will get back budding on older growth. There are a few flower bud clusters right at the base before the three way split. But I am not sure which ones to eliminate.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I haven't tried any in a pot, though I'd like to. I'm not sure why they aren't more widely used. Maybe they don't like being containerized, maybe the leaves don't reduce, and maybe they just aren't a terribly long-living tree.

From growing a few in the yard, with a plan to pot one at some point, I know that you can chop it down as hard as you want, and it will bud from the trunk. They grow very fast in the ground here, faster than trident maples.

With yours, I would consider at least removing the middle of the three main branches, and shorten the remaining two by at least half, if you want a finished height approximately the current size. A less-conservative approach is to remove the middle branch and another, so the last remaining branch is a second section of trunk, adding some movement and taper. Even better: chop it down to about 6" tall and let it grow a new leader all year to add a little movement and taper lower in the trunk.

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How did this turn out for you? Please let me know.

Top Bottom