styling suggestions for deshojo plz

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Had this tree for 1 year now. I looked great in spring.
IMG_20210330_102322.jpgIMG_20210419_072118 (2).jpg
Was thinking at first to apply WP's hedge pruning method. However, I have doubts if this is the correct way to proceed with a young tree like this (branches not thick enough, not enough ramification, not enough styling, etc)

Now it looks like this. Hedge pruning is scheduled for next weekend. Having doubts if it is the right way to treat this tree.
IMG_20210930_171726.jpgIMG_20210930_171744.jpg
Suggestions plz? Ans sorry for the bad quality pics.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Any pruning without follow up shoot thinning is a recipe for disaster with Japanese maple. Clusters of shoots quickly thicken trunks or branches leaving ugly swellings.
I can see you already have clusters of branches on the trunk so thickening there may already have started.
JM is one species where pruning and follow up really needs to be gold standard.

At this stage I would be pruning to reduce height and get taper in the trunk then to building branches and ramification. I would also allow regular growth to thicken the trunk and try to even out the graft union a bit but if you are happy with trunk thickness already then more straight to building taper and branches.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hedge pruning is great in the growing season. key however is a winter trim that is done with intelligence. So you are too late now for hedging. Do a regular fall trim & clean up. Next year, hedge it multiple times in the growig season IF that is the technique you aim for. Then in fall/winter cleanup

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would suggest thinking about air layering next season as I can't imagine the graft is ever going to look any better, in fact it will probably get worse as it grows. You need to loose some height anyway, so there is another reason to air layer above the graft. It's not like you'll loose a great base or nebari at this point, so I think you should consider it.

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That graft. I can’t get my thumb around it. Or maybe more my mitts, but it’s right there in front of me. 🤔

…hard to unsee

skychaser

Sapling
Reaction score
That graft. I can’t get my thumb around it. Or maybe more my mitts, but it’s right there in front of me. 🤔

…hard to unsee
Due to Covid and shipping . It's next to impossible to find a Deshojo maple that is not grafted. If anyone knows of any ungrafted ones let me know please..

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Due to Covid and shipping . It's next to impossible to find a Deshojo maple that is not grafted. If anyone knows of any ungrafted ones let me know please..

What you have in your hands is perfect material, and if you make the right sacrifices now there is no reason why it can't be a masterpiece:

Spring 2022: Air layer on an angle, about an inch below the first branches. Let the top grow freely. (Have your next leader in mind)

Fall 2022/Spring 2023: Separate air layer, let grow freely. (Have your next leader in mind)

2024: Prune off the top down to your new leader

Here are two threads by @clem that should be inspirational to you:

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update deshojo - did not have the balls to do the airlayer yet. I decided to let the tree fatten a few years before surgery.

Before

IMG_20221105_122454.jpg

After

IMG_20221105_132858.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well while you’re waiting to do the air layer, you could work on getting some movement into the tree you have above the graft. Wire that sucker up and then look at the air layer next season!

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
did not have the balls to do the airlayer yet. I decided to let the tree fatten a few years before surgery.
I have a few trees that had the same fate this season for the same reason. But I did take a number of layers from local yard trees this season, learned a lot and, well, grew a pair. If you're planning on growing it out anyway, I'd recommend layering other things in the interim. When you're ready to layer this one it will be easy.

Top Bottom