styling suggestions for my juniper

SHO_Gunner85

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey First time wiring and what not I have a pot on the way starting on a juniper I got from homedepot for 10 dollars IMG_20200422_073514703.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Do you have access to raffia or a similar wrap? I would suggest research on how to wrap raffia and wire tightly around the trunk and then bend the hell out of it. There's a lot of threads showing how to do this. Plus its a fun exercise as a beginner

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Truth truth...when I was looking at that other thread about the rot under that black tape, I got to thinking about how raffia, or similar stuff is used way too much, usually on stuff that doesn't even need it. What essentially ads up to a bunch of wasted time, and fewer good trees for it.

Truth Truther...what's this an "Andorra" Juniper? Buffalo? Whatever it is, there are better Junipers to start with, if you want to pot it, and have it look like something relatively soon, without years of "growing out" or grafting better foliage. Around here, that is J. Horizontalis, mostly in the form of "Blue Rug" juniper. But they are native here, so we get them, some get procumbins, etc. What to look for, not only big trunks, but big trunks with foliage as close to the pot as possible. Some have big trunks, but straight up and the foliage is 4-6ft from the pot.
Them Andorra's and a couple like it, usually have thin or multiple (🙅) trunks, and foilage about 2-3ft from the pot. These Blue rugs, can have thick trunks, and foliage that doesn't even leave the pot height or width.
With foliage so close, it is feasible to compact it with pruning alone, and actually have something near considering a pot for.
This makes these the "fastest" out there. And they grow right well too.

I'd leave that in that pot for now, toss it to the side and watch it grow. And git mo!

Sorce

Top Bottom