Styling suggestions for Xylosma bahamensis

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello, my Xylosma bahamensis is about to go into its new pot here soon, getting rewired, and pruned. I was looking for opinions regarding styling it, as I am struggling on the lower left branches and the canopy. Any thoughts? Open to suggestions.

Attachments

• 943EDBE6-3C84-4F71-9B74-3015FAC8A3D6.jpeg
    943EDBE6-3C84-4F71-9B74-3015FAC8A3D6.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 34

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just adding some definition to the clouds makes a lot of difference. The rules of bonsai say no foliage from the top of one cloud may touch the bottom of another cloud above it and vice-versa, maintaining air space for the birdies to fly through. Branches that are too thick to move stay put and lesser branches need to be wired to complement the movements of branches surrounding/adjacent to them, and any that won't play nice are exiled to the burn pile. Nice tree!

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
Just adding some definition to the clouds makes a lot of difference. The rules of bonsai say no foliage from the top of one cloud may touch the bottom of another cloud above it and vice-versa, maintaining air space for the birdies to fly through. Branches that are too thick to move stay put and lesser branches need to be wired to complement the movements of branches surrounding/adjacent to them, and any that won't play nice are exiled to the burn pile. Nice tree!
Thanks! Great advice. Super helpful

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd start the branches anew.
Stub em.

But I don't know how they act.

Sorce

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
I didn’t consider that, there may be a few branches that could benefit growing from a stub over. Thanks.

Top Bottom