Styling Turntable options and features.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am looking to improve styling turntable options. I am interested in pictures that depict the features you appreciate in styling turntables, stands. I am thinking of a combination of hinged for angle change, tie down features, rotating, optimum size and shape, edge rail. The intent is a heavier build for yamadori.
Currently i use a combination of milk crate, salon chair modified with a thick circular top. 1 1/2 inch thick 21 inch diameter.
If you have or have seen a build that works well, i would appreciate a picture being posted!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am looking to improve styling turntable options. I am interested in pictures that depict the features you appreciate in styling turntables, stands. I am thinking of a combination of hinged for angle change, tie down features, rotating, optimum size and shape, edge rail. The intent is a heavier build for yamadori.
Currently i use a combination of milk crate, salon chair modified with a thick circular top. 1 1/2 inch thick 21 inch diameter.
If you have or have seen a build that works well, i would appreciate a picture being posted!
Frank, I think a regular hydrolic lift cart modified with larger wheels and tires are your best bet. These don’t feature a turntable feature, you’ll just have to move around it. But for stability with large boxes yamadori have, as well as flexibility to prop it up at whatever angle you need, the large surface of the cart works well.

Larger wheel makes it easier to roll around in the garden. Boon has a couple. I used to work the big olive on one.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Frank, I think a regular hydrolic lift cart modified with larger wheels and tires are your best bet. These don’t feature a turntable feature, you’ll just have to move around it. But for stability with large boxes yamadori have, as well as flexibility to prop it up at whatever angle you need, the large surface of the cart works well.

Larger wheel makes it easier to roll around in the garden. Boon has a couple. I used to work the big olive on one.
I have that, modified mine and posted for others prior on this forum . Also produced the thicker turntable tops for Boon to combat the wear and tear plus warping of thinner tops. That was back when Dillon was working with Boon and he had just moved in to the new location in Hayward.
It is the adaptive angle feature for larger trees that i wish to accommodate. Improvement on the following sample. Possible fourth layer with piano hinge 90 degree opposite. Tie downs and retaining ledges all on top of turntable designed for heavier trees. here is a picture of a handmade smaller partial idea of what i am considering. I thought there might be some other prototypes out there in the Bonsai nut world.

Attachments

• IMG_0977.JPG
    IMG_0977.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 33

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was thinking about this a few days ago.
How about two side bars with serrated edges (like an old saw) mounted in two slots. Those two bars will be the support, adjustable of course. Opposing to it, will be the hinge.
Put a peg behind the serrated bars and they're set.

Or a system like this one:
9fc70cf48b501383e3e6d4af67a1b4fb.jpg

Not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for, but it looks easy to build and pretty solid.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks! The second suggestion looks like it is a viable option, if one could build it robust enough. Mechanically allows for one direction of angle change!

I saw some large tilt type tables being used for very large Yamadori that appeared to be modified drafting tables. They were not mobile though.

I would like to build a base style that would fit on my hydraulic lift cart. I find the cart necessary to handle my larger trees. Another key aspect is that the tree is held securely when being adjusted for angle. I work alone the majority of the time.

I spent some time today and roughed up a prototype drawing.
Basic size 21 inches by 27 inches. 12 inch zinc lazy Susan rated at 1000 lb. capacity. Piano hinge on one end and then a piano hinge lengthwise on the next level up.
lazy Susan between the base and first layer, Piano hinge on the short side between layer two and three, Piano hinge on the long side between layer three and four. Retaining ledge on one short side and one long side. The retaining ledge will be on the top level and hinge side.
Tie downs will have to be flexible to accommodate adjustment angles and connect between the base and fourth level.
Not sure how well it will work but will post a picture of the prototype when i get it together.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about some sort of locking mechanism to stop it from turning freely too?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So here is what i came up with so far.
Four layer styling platform for the top of my hydraulic cart.
Consist of 4 pieces of 3/4 plywood 19 inch by 27 inch.
One 12 inch lazy Susan, zinc coated, stainless steel ball bearings, heavy duty weight bearing.
Two sections of piano hinge. One mounted between layer 2 and 3 on short side. One mounted between layer three and four on long side.IMG_1233.JPGIMG_1236.JPGIMG_1238.JPG
Two pieces of 1/4 inch edge rail, stained and sealed all wood.
Allows me to adjust angle on two planes to determine roughly the best front and planting angle when beginning with new material. The tree is a Sierra juniper that is growing out and strengthening. Adjusting to new climate in the Pacific Northwest.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Consider Table on top of Salon chair cylinder. Mount table to cylinder on ball joint(possibly could be car U Joint and short section of drive shaft both sides). Install 3 or 4 adjustable arms evenly spaced between table and cylinder. Figure tie downs to secure tree to table. As long as all components very robust should do job as desired;).

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Consider Table on top of Salon chair cylinder. Mount table to cylinder on ball joint(possibly could be car U Joint and short section of drive shaft both sides). Install 3 or 4 adjustable arms evenly spaced between table and cylinder. Figure tie downs to secure tree to table. As long as all components very robust should do job as desired;).
I can see that adjusting one plane and being useful if there are locking mechanisms on the adjustable arms. Tie Rod connections may be useful or the ends used for sway bars that connect to strut towers for stiffening chassis. But they have limited adjustment range.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Could you "Rube Goldberg" an articulated bench vice?

View attachment 218629
Actually, my son and I explored that option a number of years ago with a machinist friend of his. The main concern was the locking mechanism when rotated in position. The typical single set screw was not likely going to work for long. The second concern was the way the weight distributed as the angle changed. We felt it was going to require adjustable support legs in tandem with the socket mount. As well as a distribution plate assembly below the table and before the connection point to the ball shaft.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've been selling mine like pictured on the selling other forum.
Not sure which picture you are referring to above or which forum. Perhaps post a picture so everyone will know what you are referring to. The purpose of the post is to share ideas and i would like to see your work. I am happy with the one i designed from scratch, but am always looking for new ideas and improvements. My design is weak in two ways. One has to lift and turn the plant if the opposite planes are to be examined. Secondly, the planes operate independently rather than in concert with each other. In the same adjustment.

stevek

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
it's in the other selling bonsai related forum right below bonsai trees for sale forum under tilting bonsai turntable. sk.

Top Bottom