Styling yamadori mulberry

Ngidm

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

First-time poster, long-time reader here. Thanks so much for the years of excellent information!

I've got this mulberry growing in my yard, under another tree, that I'd like to make into yamadori. Or, perhaps more appropriately, "yardmadori". It has some good base flare (and from a little digging with a finger j can tell you it flares more beneith the soil surface), and it seems like excellent taper. Because it is under another low-growing, dense tree (euonymus?), It has shot up four near-vertical shoots that are all big. There one on the left, one in the middle, and one on the right that are over 1.5", and then an additional one in the middle/back that is over 4". You can't really see the back one in this picture, but it's what gives the great taper. It will get cut off when I collect the tree in the spring. The rest of the tree slopes gently to the right into some finer branches that will get shortened.

My question is this: I think I have two options. Tell me what I should do. I'll list what I think should be done, or if you have better ideas, let me have 'em!

1) do I keep some of those main branches (probably the middle and the left ones), cut them 3-6 inches from the trunk, and have.a trianglular-shaped canopy, wide tree that gently slopes to the right?

Or

2) do I cut off all the left and right branches and chop back just to a trunk and make a curvy informal upright?

Any advice you have would be appreciated. Picture attached.

--N

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Winter is coming, I would not cut or do anything right now. Welcome!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd layer it above that first left branch and continue developing the bottom.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom