styrofoam in potting mix as substitute to Akadama

nabil

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all

Someone told me to put small grians styrofoam in the bonsai mix if i dont have access to Akadama

What do u think?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all

Someone told me to put small grians styrofoam in the bonsai mix if i dont have access to Akadama

What do u think?
The roots grow into the syrofoam and when you repot there are white thingies stuck to your roots. Perlite is better but why not just use akadama?

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You DO have access to akadama. Order a bag and use it. And stop taking advice from that person as it pertains to bonsai.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Although it would be fun to watch the styrofoam float to the surface when you water.

ed

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hi all

What do u think?

Who told you this, you should tell them to try it on their most expensive tree first... WHY!!!!! This is maybe the worst idea i've ever read on this forum...

Styrofoam does not breakdown easily and it releases chemicals when it gets wet that contaminates water that touches it thus contaminating the water supply. The following fact I already knew but I had to find it online to get that actual particulars (you will be shocked, I think about it everytime I get food in a Styrofoam container): By 1986, styrene was found in 100 percent of all samples of human fat tissue taken as part of a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Human Tissue Survey. Researchers found that Styrofoam cups lose weight when in use, meaning that styrene is oozing into the foods and drinks we consume. It then ends up stored in our fatty tissue, where it can build up to levels that can cause fatigue, nervousness, difficulty sleeping, blood abnormalities, and even carcinogenic effects.​

http://www.green-4-u.com/2008/05/22/why-styrofoam-is-bad/

While most of this is related to humans as no one seems to have ever though about putting it in a plant mix till this thread, I can't think all those carcinogenic chemicals would be good for plants either.

Last edited:

Paulsur

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It then ends up stored in our fatty tissue said:
[/I]

While most of this is related to humans as no one seems to have ever thought about putting it in a plant mix till this thread, I can't think all those carcinogenic chemicals would be good for plants either.

I'll remember this next time I have roast bonsai for dinner.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually people do use large blocks of it as filler in the bottom of large cascade pots. This helps by not having too much soil that can lead to root rot. The only problem I see with the small particles is it floating out of the pot when watering. I believe a member here, Brian, had posted some pics of him doing it with cascade pots.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Actually people do use large blocks of it as filler in the bottom of large cascade pots. This helps by not having too much soil that can lead to root rot. The only problem I see with the small particles is it floating out of the pot when watering. I believe a member here, Brian, had posted some pics of him doing it with cascade pots.

Hmmm maybe me thinking this is the worst idea ever is wrong then. But I think there are much better substrates to use like pumice for the bottom of a pot. Then your tree can grow strong healthy roots into the pumice. Does styrofoam produce good roots? Maybe the chemicals are good for plants, although I doubt it. ;)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My post was only really to show that it does not hurt plants. The reason of use of it in cascade pots is that you can can fill a large volume of space on the bottom with very little weight. You could also use a very large rock,but that would be heavy.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My post was only really to show that it does not hurt plants. The reason of use of it in cascade pots is that you can can fill a large volume of space on the bottom with very little weight. You could also use a very large rock,but that would be heavy.

I seen where the OP was mentioning using "fine grains of styrofoam in the bonsai mix if I dont have acess to Akadama" That would be right in the mix not underneath it. I dont know if it would hurt Bonsai roots but it would be in contact with them and not beneath them. at the least it would seem the roots would grow into the material.

ed

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Who told you this, you should tell them to try it on their most expensive tree first... WHY!!!!! This is maybe the worst idea i've ever read on this forum...

There is always a worse idea out there somewhere.

At least it's not those biodegradable foam packing peanuts as a cheap and light substitute for akadama right?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have used blocks of styrofoam around collected Ponderosa pine roots with no ill effects. The goal was to reduce the amount of soil that could stay wet around an awkwardly-shaped root mass.

This is different than using styrofoam as a soil component...which is not a good idea because soil needs to provide physical stability for roots.

Attachments

• Pondy 3 a potting (2).jpg
    Pondy 3 a potting (2).jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Picture 169.jpg
    Picture 169.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom