Sub Alpine Fir Development Progress (collected spring 2017)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is the second collected sub-alpine fir. This one was also collected in 2017 but in the fall. As dsuch it has had one full growing season. There is new growth of outer foliage and some buds on the outer branches. Very few new buds on the inner branches or trunk portion. Yesterday i reworked one side that needed more original soil removed in order to promote better root growth. When this tree was originally collected there were fewer fine roots to work with and a major tap root off to one side. So, i chose the safer process of only bare rooting the weakest side initially. That left me with one side to work after i was sure recovery was well underway.
The other steps i took were to wire some branches to ensure that they would receive more sunlight this summer and aid in further recovery. This tree will not be ready for initial styling as fast as the one collected in the spring of the same year!IMG_1354.JPGIMG_1355.JPG

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a bit of a running joke in the local bonsai support group, i actually have never met an experienced bonsai artist who does not suffer from this affliction. I have met a few who do not want to talk about it:cool:.

It’s happened to me plenty of times. With that in mind I tried to really try to get it right with a tree last spring. I had put a lot of thought into the position and inclination that I wanted. I even took a photo and checked it before finalizing the potting. The next day on the bench I could see that the lean was off. “WTH?” Was my thought. Looked back at the photo and saw that the stump I was using as a potting surface was sloped on the top.
Oh, well, will repot again in ten years or so, maybe get it right then eh?

I think your trees are gonna be excellent, well I think they already are excellent material anyways.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Love your collections Frank, especially the trio!
Sad, I'd planned to repot mine this year. It was the only true collected tree I had
but it passed last Summer. Collected Sept. 2009 near Colorado Springs.
Can't find a pic of the tree but was in the drip line of this tree...
DSC01800.JPG
Is this the same foliage? I never had a good ID on it, but think your thread may've helped there.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sad, I'd planned to repot mine this year. It was the only true collected tree I had
View attachment 231443
Is this the same foliage? I never had a good ID on it, but think your thread may've helped there.
The foliage looks very similar in both color and conformation. Could very well be!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This sub-alpine fir was potted into a maintenance pot ( march 7 of this year) from the grow box it was placed in after i collected it in the spring of 2017.
Today i spent a couple of hours cleaning out dead needles, stray dead twigs in preparation for it's first styling. I also worked the soil level down by about 1/2 inch to begin exposing the base. This will aid in design as the flare shape and major roots will play a role in final planting angle and choice of front. Cleaning out the dead needles and twigs will aid in the wiring of branches remaining after primary branch selection. The pictures show the overall, then the base to understand the front choice. I decided to place the larger trunk to the front and the right, this places the third trunk ( smallest to the left and the middle size trunk in the middle at the back. The base above the flare is approximately seven inches and the overall height at this point is 54 inches. Please keep in mind that the basic styling, pruning and wiring is yet to come. I plan to style this tree by the end of august to set it up for the following year!
IMG_0863.JPGIMG_0864.JPGIMG_0865.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 30

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Please post progressive photos. Are you going to be working it with someone?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Please post progressive photos. Are you going to be working it with someone?
I will be taking it with me to our Study Group in Vancouver at the end of August. The members of our study group always have an opinion as to what should be done;)
Typically i prefer to do my own styling, but we are fortunate to have each other to bounce ideas off and keep the pressure on. Members of the group share a common background of training with the same masters.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a great tree. Your last photos def show the health and vigor you’ve gotten this tree to. Reminds me a lot of the group Michael Hagerdorn put together. I think it was a hemlock clump?? Not sure. Either way, this tree is special.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 231443
This foliage has pointy tips, which leads me to think it’s a spruce and not a fir.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a great tree. Your last photos def show the health and vigor you’ve gotten this tree to. Reminds me a lot of the group Michael Hagerdorn put together. I think it was a hemlock clump?? Not sure. Either way, this tree is special.
I can see that. Michael is one of the teachers i have trained with and i really admire his work. My favorite of his is an Ezo Spruce.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Initial styling on this Triple Trunk Alpine Fir has been started. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to provide a collected tree for a demonstration styling in Vancouver. The visting artist was bonsai master Takahiro Mori. Normally i avoid styling demonstrations, however Mr. Mori has a reputation for deep respect for the tree in his selection of how much work to do at once and the quality of his work. The demonstration was held at the Nikkei Cultural Centre for an invited group of local Bonsai enthusiasts. I am very happy with the initial progress and look forward to completing the refinement over the next few years. It was very interesting and rewarding to have Master Mori provide his insight and suggestions for the future.
Just a beginning but exciting nontheless. The second picture shows additional wiring and branch placement afterwards and is taken back in my studio.IMG_0916.JPGIMG_0924.JPG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Initial styling on this Triple Trunk Alpine Fir has been started. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to provide a collected tree for a demonstration styling in Vancouver. The visting artist was bonsai master Takahiro Mori. Normally i avoid styling demonstrations, however Mr. Mori has a reputation for deep respect for the tree in his selection of how much work to do at once and the quality of his work. The demonstration was held at the Nikkei Cultural Centre for an invited group of local Bonsai enthusiasts. I am very happy with the initial progress and look forward to completing the refinement over the next few years. It was very interesting and rewarding to have Master Mori provide his insight and suggestions for the future.
Just a beginning but exciting nontheless. The second picture shows additional wiring and branch placement afterwards and is taken back in my studio.View attachment 260487View attachment 260488
Update!
Time to take the wire off and thin new growth, minor cut back. Will rewire in the fall! Progress coming along nicely!IMG_1124.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is the second collected sub-alpine fir. This one was also collected in 2017 but in the fall. As dsuch it has had one full growing season. There is new growth of outer foliage and some buds on the outer branches. Very few new buds on the inner branches or trunk portion. Yesterday i reworked one side that needed more original soil removed in order to promote better root growth. When this tree was originally collected there were fewer fine roots to work with and a major tap root off to one side. So, i chose the safer process of only bare rooting the weakest side initially. That left me with one side to work after i was sure recovery was well underway.
The other steps i took were to wire some branches to ensure that they would receive more sunlight this summer and aid in further recovery. This tree will not be ready for initial styling as fast as the one collected in the spring of the same year!View attachment 231428View attachment 231429
Update on this collected Sub Alpine Fir. I have repotted this tree this past spring and now been working on some pruning and wiring. have also progressed on some of the deadwood work as time allowed. The picture does not haver the fancy backdrop, however the tree is progressing towards a basic beginning design.
Lots of work ahead but I am pleased with the progress. Intention is to shorten and compact the apex toward the right, planting angle will move a bit forward and the tree will rotate to the left a few degrees to enhance the trunk movement. Next repot in two years. In the meantime condense and refine foliage and create pads. Not all of the remaining branches will be needed in the final design. This species is difficult to wire and requires caging the branch tips for best results. Thus the wiring is very unorthodox. My excuse and I am sticking to it! Not very branchlet is wired at this stage.
IMG_2143.JPG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The triple trunk is doing real well. The chops on the trunks intended to balance the heights with the individual trunk thickness and position have grown in very nice extensions for taper and placement on the tops. Foliage is compacting nicely and lots of back budding has occurred. Next step will be some pruning and wiring to prepare the tree for next stage of development. Hope to complete that sometime this month. Expecting a stronger cold spell over the next week, so will delay planned work for a bit!

jevanlewis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Update on this collected Sub Alpine Fir. I have repotted this tree this past spring and now been working on some pruning and wiring. have also progressed on some of the deadwood work as time allowed. The picture does not haver the fancy backdrop, however the tree is progressing towards a basic beginning design.
Lots of work ahead but I am pleased with the progress. Intention is to shorten and compact the apex toward the right, planting angle will move a bit forward and the tree will rotate to the left a few degrees to enhance the trunk movement. Next repot in two years. In the meantime condense and refine foliage and create pads. Not all of the remaining branches will be needed in the final design. This species is difficult to wire and requires caging the branch tips for best results. Thus the wiring is very unorthodox. My excuse and I am sticking to it! Not very branchlet is wired at this stage.

Thanks for the update. Is that the 15.75" x 15.75" x 5" sized Anderson Flat? It looks smaller than that size, but I can't tell for sure.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the update. Is that the 15.75" x 15.75" x 5" sized Anderson Flat? It looks smaller than that size, but I can't tell for sure.
That is the Deep Flat size you have it correct? This tree has a sizeable trunk which probably distorts the flat size.

Top Bottom