SubAlpine Fir Initial Structure/ Work

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Collected Subalpine fir.....initial structure set.....can't find my 'before' picture......Curious what you think...obviously going for a semi-cascade with multiple apexes throughout...and yes, the straight diagonal branch will be modified--it's current will not wholly be part of the design....thoughts?

Attachments

• subalpine fir initial structure.jpg
    subalpine fir initial structure.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cascade branch looks good. Rest looks busy/style confused. Big branch coming up from cascade too straight and leaves uncomfortable feeling. Upper stub branch might be better gone as straightness detracts from movement in rest of tree. Backside branches seem OK from presented angle. Perhaps better in person. Planting angle/viewing angle make differences as well;). Personal opinion not meant to discourage as is a beautiful tree with good potential.

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice start, nice material. I would allow what you have done "settle in". Leave the tree recover for a while, maybe through the summer.

Seattle has an active bonsai community. I would bring the tree to a club meeting, or bring it to a local artist. Get their thoughts. It is a busy design, but I would not do more work before August. I can't do design from photos so I'll suggest you get live in person help. Take your time with this tree, it has potential.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Complicated material... most of the branches, including the cascading branch seem to be coming from the back, which immediately turns me off to the chosen front, assuming that's what is shown in the single picture. I can't help but think there's a significantly better front but without seeing other sides, can only guess. Also, that very straight branch definitely needs to go.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This tree has potential. I would reccomend help from a more experienced and trained individual. Lots of talented people in your area. Also in nearby Oregon. John at Bonsai Northwest. Matt Reel, Michael Hagedorn.
Essentialy the design will be based on where you can develop appropriate size branching to create a suitable foliage pattern to frame the trunk!
This foliage will need to be much less than the current amount, closer in with fewer lengthy boring sections of straight branches.
Also, it is important to understand the foliage characteristics of Sub Alpine Fir and plan a design that is compatible. Further shortening of the tree will make that difficult!
The natural tendency of foliage to curve upwards will make a cascade style challenging as well, requiring excessive wiring which sub alpine fir does not handle well.
Fortunately Sub Alpine Fir readily back buds and long branching can be reduced and compacted towards the interior over time.
Not trying to be negative, just hoping to aid in getting the most out of this material.
If the tree were to be mine at this point i would stop, begin root work and repot this spring, Grow out and cut back over the next few years to create new interior foliage, particularily in the top 2/3 of the tree. While developing the new foliage i would continue to work the roots and create the proper root ball for Bonsai purposes working towards a maintenance pot over the next three years. Both objective could be accomplished in that time and then i would begin styling. This would accomplish a more balanced choice of branches and foliage to pick from and a healthy tree with a solid root ball sited for Bonsai.

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This tree has potential. I would reccomend help from a more experienced and trained individual. Lots of talented people in your area. Also in nearby Oregon. John at Bonsai Northwest. Matt Reel, Michael Hagedorn.
Essentialy the design will be based on where you can develop appropriate size branching to create a suitable foliage pattern to frame the trunk!
This foliage will need to be much less than the current amount, closer in with fewer lengthy boring sections of straight branches.
Also, it is important to understand the foliage characteristics of Sub Alpine Fir and plan a design that is compatible. Further shortening of the tree will make that difficult!
The natural tendency of foliage to curve upwards will make a cascade style challenging as well, requiring excessive wiring which sub alpine fir does not handle well.
Fortunately Sub Alpine Fir readily back buds and long branching can be reduced and compacted towards the interior over time.
Not trying to be negative, just hoping to aid in getting the most out of this material.
If the tree were to be mine at this point i would stop, begin root work and repot this spring, Grow out and cut back over the next few years to create new interior foliage, particularily in the top 2/3 of the tree. While developing the new foliage i would continue to work the roots and create the proper root ball for Bonsai purposes working towards a maintenance pot over the next three years. Both objective could be accomplished in that time and then i would begin styling. This would accomplish a more balanced choice of branches and foliage to pick from and a healthy tree with a solid root ball sited for Bonsai.

Frank, thanks for the detailed feedback!

Top Bottom