SUBALPINE FIR

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A recent purchase, subalpine fir (Abies lasiocarpa) originally collected by bonsai artist and ceramist Sam Miller. It was found growing in a very small and shallow pocket of soil in Utah at an altitude of over 10,000 feet. It has wonderful natural taper and movement. I love the low growth that it has which comes in the way of a long branch probably bent down by the weight of snow and naturally ground layered itself.

The hallmark of this species is the ease in which they can bud back even on old wood when happy. They are very flexible and quite cold hardy. Perhaps it might look really nice on a slightly curved slab or potted in a nanban style pot mounded and raised high in it.

The tree as purchased. Up until now, It had not received any work.

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

Sketch I made before the work.

Untitled_Artwork-8.jpg

Work in progress.

IMG_3086.jpg

Work completed for now. It stands about 23" tall from soil level.

IMG_3134 copy.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

Last edited:

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
A recent purchase, subalpine fir (Abies lasiocarpa) originally collected by bonsai artist and ceramist Sam Miller. It was found growing in a very small and shallow pocket of soil in Utah at an altitude of over 10,000 feet. It has wonderful natural taper and movement. I love the low growth that it has which comes in the way of a long branch probably bent down by the weight of snow and naturally ground layered itself.

The hallmark of this species is the ease in which they can bud back even on old wood when happy. They are very flexible and quite cold hardy. Perhaps it might look really nice on a slightly curved slab or potted in a nanban style pot mounded and raised high in it.

View attachment 264776

View attachment 264784

View attachment 264777

Work in progress.

View attachment 264778

View attachment 264779

View attachment 264780

View attachment 264781

View attachment 264782

View attachment 264783

Really nice start! That ground layer is something special. Just created 2 similar to that on a Mt Hemlock I have here.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

View attachment 264776

View attachment 264784

View attachment 264777

Work in progress.

View attachment 264778

View attachment 264779

View attachment 264780

View attachment 264781

View attachment 264782

View attachment 264783
I like the vision, nice progress. One of my favorite species.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love the balance you brought to it with that left down facing branch! I wonder, have you given any thought on how big you want that branch?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw you scoop this one up on the fbook auction! I knew I’d see a post at some point on here, but didn’t think I’d see it so soon!! Such a great tree Sergio! Master at work!

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

View attachment 264776

View attachment 264784

View attachment 264777

Work in progress.

View attachment 264778

View attachment 264779

View attachment 264780

View attachment 264781

View attachment 264782

View attachment 264783
Nice! I think it's the cork bark variety, same as mine.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the vision, nice progress. One of my favorite species.

You have some really special ones Frank. Thus far I am really liking them. Tight small needles and they bud back like crazy. So far, they seem to do fine here in the Northeast. I have another one initially styled by Bjorn that can't wait to work on it and hopefully take it one more step forward.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love the balance you brought to it with that left down facing branch! I wonder, have you given any thought on how big you want that branch?

Not longer than what it is now although it does need to fill in a bit. There a tuft of foliage all the way up that branch at its base that needs to extend but didn't have enough of it at the moment.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Believe this one was on fb auctions. Loved it but didn’t think it would work in Georgia.

Yes it sure was! I doubt it would. Not sure how much farther south from me they may live? They need cold, long winters to thrive long term.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I saw you scoop this one up on the fbook auction! I knew I’d see a post at some point on here, but didn’t think I’d see it so soon!! Such a great tree Sergio! Master at work!

Thanks Danny. It was hard for me to say no to a tree that's either twin trunk or multitrunk. That's the whole value on this fir and I thought was reasonably priced :)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Danny. It was hard for me to say no to a tree that's either twin trunk or multitrunk. That's the whole value on this fir and I thought was reasonably priced :)
Oh yeah. You got it for a steal! And your vision adds massive value to the piece. I’ve heard your name pop up a few times on the Mirai podcast. You’ve got that we’ll earned street cred. And everything you touch turns to gooooollddddd. 😎👍🏻

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh yeah. You got it for a steal! And your vision adds massive value to the piece. I’ve heard your name pop up a few times on the Mirai podcast. You’ve got that we’ll earned street cred. And everything you touch turns to gooooollddddd. 😎👍🏻

LOL thanks man! But gold???? I thought it'd be diamonds!! 😂😂😂

No but seriously, I am very proud of Ryan. He turned out to be one of my better students! 🤣😂🤣😂

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL thanks man! But gold???? I thought it'd be diamonds!! 😂😂😂

No but seriously, I am very proud of Ryan. He turned out to be one of my better students! 🤣😂🤣😂
😂😂😂Little guy has come such a long way!! I thought his style looked familiar. 🤔

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You have some really special ones Frank. Thus far I am really liking them. Tight small needles and they bud back like crazy. So far, they seem to do fine here in the Northeast. I have another one initially styled by Bjorn that can't wait to work on it and hopefully take it one more step forward.
Thanks Sergio, recently, i was shown another wiring trick for Fir and Spruce that will be very valuable in refinement stages. I believe it is commonly used for Ezo spruce as well. The wire is wrapped normally on the first few wraps of the minor branch, then as you progress to more extensive needle foliage the wraps become looser within the needles, farther from the branch, ending in a cage like structure around the fine soft needles. Requires a slower wrap by wrap placement with careful twisting motion.
By using a slightly larger wire size then normal for the tips, the copper wire hardens and the foliage tips can be positioned by holding the wire coil cage. This is counter intuitive from normally selecting the finest wire possible to hold the branch. Thus less damage to the small needles and the ability to space nicely for pad formation while the growth is still young. You may have already been using a version of this approach as your fine wiring was ending with a similar curl in some spots.

Top Bottom