subdtrate

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I rhuoght the consensus was it didn't hold enough moisture?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I rhuoght the consensus was it didn't hold enough moisture?
NAPA 8822 DE holds lots of water but is free draining. I'm not sure what you mean by its not all made the same? It's all fired to the same temp, the only difference I've ever seen between bags is slight color difference (which it depends on where it was mined)

Aaron

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The link I posted some people posted that it was like mush after a few hours in water.

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We all have to start somewhere.
Most people do start with these trees then graduate on to other bigger stock.
The thing to learn first is to learn how to properly care for a tree in a pot. Placement,watering,fertilizing etc.
The other thing to learn is to accept losses. We all kill trees or have killed trees. Some of us more than others.
We just need to accept that trees are going to die.
Good luck and post a picture of that bad boy when it arrives.
We will help.

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We all have to start somewhere.
Most people do start with these trees then graduate on to other bigger stock.
The thing to learn first is to learn how to properly care for a tree in a pot. Placement,watering,fertilizing etc.
The other thing to learn is to accept losses. We all kill trees or have killed trees. Some of us more than others.
Good luck and post a picture of that bad boy when it arrives.
We will help.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We all kill trees or have killed trees. Some of us more than others.
I am Very good at this :D Especially pines do not like me!
I have learned to be good at this too! You also need to learn to find out what you did wrong so you can avoid the same mistake in the future. Plants normally die for a reason.

For now your tree needds growing. I would seriously consider putting this in the ground and letting it grow for a few years. Rather go to a good gardening centre or hardware store with garden section and get yourself a big green ball of juniper and work on that. Or ask in a loocal club whether soomeone has some cheap starter for you. That is always better value than buying these sort of things from Amazon.

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am Very good at this :D Especially pines do not like me!

I have learned to be good at this too! You also need to learn to find out what you did wrong so you can avoid the same mistake in the future. Plants normally die for a reason.

For now your tree needds growing. I would seriously consider putting this in the ground and letting it grow for a few years. Rather go to a good gardening centre or hardware store with garden section and get yourself a big green ball of juniper and work on that. Or ask in a loocal club whether soomeone has some cheap starter for you. That is always better value than buying these sort of things from Amazon.
Thanks but I don't have the option to plant on the ground because I'm in a condo .
FYI that starter was $5

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is for BONSAI TREES, not trees in training, right? IOW, established bonsai in Bonsai trays, not trees in nursery pots you want to grow out... because if you are still growing them out, they need to be in large pots with regular old nursery soil... no need to drop $40 for a couple gallons of soil when all you should be using is good old fashioned dirt! Large pots with potting soil or ground growth yields big trunks... coarse bonsai mix in small trays yields dense compact root systems and less/ slower/ smaller growth.

It has always puzzled me that a person can buy a really nice piece of nursery stock with an interesting trunk and lush foliage and have to immediately get rid of that "bad, BAD" commercial potting soil......... The same potting soil that has gotten it to it's present prime condition. Commercial potting soil is what it is because it can grow healthy plants in a timely manner.

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Are they getting rid of it, or just repotting to take stock of their stock?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Are they getting rid of it, or just repotting to take stock of their stock?

Good point, whomever. That would be a viable reason to repot, as would an obvious rootbound condition. My point is that quality potting soil is a great medium to grow things in. It may not hold up for years, but the tree would need root work from time to time anyway.

whomever

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Big box nursery soil seems to be hit and miss around here when you get a planf home the soil seems to be no that great about half way down.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Big box nursery soil seems to be hit and miss around here when you get a planf home the soil seems to be no that great about half way down.
That would certainly be another reason to repot.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
NAPA 8822 DE holds lots of water but is free draining. I'm not sure what you mean by its not all made the same? It's all fired to the same temp, the only difference I've ever seen between bags is slight color difference (which it depends on where it was mined)

Aaron

Real 8822 DE is diatomaceous earth (DE) doesn't break down and is not fired nor does it have to be, unless it is heated to dry some. DE is the fossilized skeletal remains of diatoms, and the like, and is mineralized (rock-like). Be careful when sifting or wear a dust mask (a good one from 3m designed for particulate matter with two straps, not the paper thin ones with a rubber band on them from walmart); inhaling DE dust over time can cause a lung disease similar to breathing asbestos. It is a good idea not to inhale the dust of any of the substrates we use but be especially careful with DE.

FWIW,

John

Top Bottom