Substitute for kanuma?

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
With akadama gone from the NW (none of the suppliers have any left) I've decided to use another substitute and I'm not too worried about it. In the case of Kanuma, however, I am hesitant to use anything else for my Satsukis because I use 100% kanuma for repotting. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to find kanuma either in the Portland area. Any idea of a relatively safe alternative. I'd hate to see my satsuki go downhill. I only have a bag of kanuma left, just enough to report a few smaller trees but I have one massive Satsuki that requires more than half a bag at each repot.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
With akadama gone from the NW (none of the suppliers have any left) I've decided to use another substitute and I'm not too worried about it. In the case of Kanuma, however, I am hesitant to use anything else for my Satsukis because I use 100% kanuma for repotting. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to find kanuma either in the Portland area. Any idea of a relatively safe alternative. I'd hate to see my satsuki go downhill. I only have a bag of kanuma left, just enough to report a few smaller trees but I have one massive Satsuki that requires more than half a bag at each repot.

These guys carry it and the Wife is always happy with them on a WIDE variety of purchases.
http://www.dallasbonsai.com/kanuma-bonsai-potting-medium-soil-s/1914.htm

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
shipping soil is such a pain. I guess I don't have much of a choice at this point. Thanks for the link!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
shipping soil is such a pain. I guess I don't have much of a choice at this point. Thanks for the link!

Oh One more thought! Call a few farm supply outfits, Agway, Central Tractor, and Tractor Supply OFTEN carry items like that to support the local landscapers!

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Isn't kanuma used mainly because of its slightly acidic pH value? You could try mixing in a little peat, bark, or using fertilizer for acid loving plants like Miracid.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score

If you have any nice Satsukis I would stick with having Kanuma shipped, which is a total pain I agree. If your just growing them out, maybe experiment with other options-pumice, grit, etc. There are not a ton of really good Satsuki people in the U.S. so even if someone on this forum recommends something else I might take it with a grain of salt, unless you can verify that they are legit when it comes to Satsuki. Don't quote me because I could be wrong, but I think Boon mixes some pumice in his Kanuma for Satsuki-which might bring the cost down for you a bit. Sorry wish I could be a better help.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
If you have any nice Satsukis I would stick with having Kanuma shipped, which is a total pain I agree. If your just growing them out, maybe experiment with other options-pumice, grit, etc. There are not a ton of really good Satsuki people in the U.S. so even if someone on this forum recommends something else I might take it with a grain of salt, unless you can verify that they are legit when it comes to Satsuki. Don't quote me because I could be wrong, but I think Boon mixes some pumice in his Kanuma for Satsuki-which might bring the cost down for you a bit. Sorry wish I could be a better help.

I have growing satsuki stock that I'm not too worried about. I just worry about my imported satsukis which are pretty valuable at this point.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm currently using a mix of kanuma, lava, and a little chopped sphagnum moss turface...only for the last year in bonsai pots (see my avatar). Like akadama, I'm thinking kanuma may or may not be available in the long run, so finding alternatives is a good idea. I've heard folks using chopped sphagnum moss, fir bark mulch, and other bark components along with additives such as lava, pumice, and grit with good success.

Last edited:

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm curious - I'm not familiar with satsuki azaleas or kanuma - is it because of a ph issue that you're specifically looking for kanuma, or are you just looking for a non-organic substrate that absorbs water well and allows for good root aeration?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm curious - I'm not familiar with satsuki azaleas or kanuma - is it because of a ph issue that you're specifically looking for kanuma, or are you just looking for a non-organic substrate that absorbs water well and allows for good root aeration?

Personally, I think kanuma's "acidity" and its' benefit to acid loving trees is overstated...I think its' PH is just a tiny notch below 7. I think the real benefit with kanuma is that it is soft and water absorbent...the extremely fine azalea rootlets literally grow right into the granules...my .02

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I agree with the above. While slightly more acidic than akadama it is also a lot softer and breaks down over time. Satsukis have a very fine root system and when you repot, it always seems like the kanuma and roots have "fused" together.

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Manny,
We have a couple tons of kanuma, but we have also been experimenting with growing them in Oregon pumice, and we like it.
Come on down.
Chris

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Manny,
We have a couple tons of kanuma, but we have also been experimenting with growing them in Oregon pumice, and we like it.
Come on down.
Chris

Chris is your email address working? Been sending you emails about pot and kanuma but didn't hear back. If you have kanuma I'm gonna make a trip to pick some up. Got any akadama left?

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Since my search for Kanuma is over...here are some pictures of one of my Satsuki. It's a Kinu-no-Hikari

IMG_5067_zps4d820fd1.jpg

IMG_5066_zps0a44e714.jpg

IMG_5065_zpsd078b7f8.jpg

IMG_5063_zps64ed90c8.jpg

IMG_5061_zps638b2909.jpg

IMG_5060_zps288918cd.jpg

IMG_5059_zpse8abeb72.jpg

IMG_5049_zps86011b05.jpg

it's a big tree
IMG_5028_zps1626153a.jpg

chris38383838

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
For my satsukis in development, I use 1:1 peat moss and perlite. Peat moss is pH 5 and perlite is 7, so it gives the wanted pH of around 6. My satsukis do fine in this mix.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Azalea's thrive on having very fine roots and having Kunama as main source helps the root
system to spread freely. If you use a probe tester (which I do) every 2 weeks will help balance
aicd levels, alkaline, moisture etc... Being light weight for root system growth and absorbant for
moisture not to wet not to dry makes it perfect for azalea's. If a person can create or find a sub for these
reaction with the soil then great, I will be happy to try another soil mix.
Japanese Hyuga, has anyone tried this as the base layer for azalea's? It works good to avoid soil bonding.

Last edited:

N-tropy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,

I know it's an old topic but it is still interesting. Some days ago I found a granular substrate
with a PH value of 5, which is obviously a good alternative for Kanuma, but I did not yet try it.
https://agrinova.de/shop/diatomin-streugranulat/
According to their Information it consists of 35% clay, and 65% diatomite. Next month
I will order some and then try it myself.

Top Bottom