Substrate mix; Same for all? Species specified?

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Ingvill,
Perhaps our climates are similar, Pacific Northwest @ the 50 parallel. Don’t overthink it too much, as others have mentioned, is there a local club you could join as I’m sure they could provide you some advice. This week at our monthly club meeting we talked about soils and there were about 4 variations and it was very dependent on what the club members could source, Lava (black/red), pumice, decomposed granite, decomposed bark etc. We agreed that we will be organizing a soil making party in February next year in time for potting time, specifically so that our newer members can access a good mix and to educate them.
Personally, for the majority of my trees I just use two ingredients; pumice and decomposed bark (trade name Seasoil) in different proportions, more bark for conifers less for deciduous (when I can I will use Lava too).
I do sift and use larger particle sizes for larger trees, smaller for small trees and accent plants......I also incorporate some shredded sphagnum moss for some specific purposes.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Graham

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Personally, for the majority of my trees I just use two ingredients; pumice and decomposed bark (trade name Seasoil) in different proportions, more bark for conifers less for deciduous
This should be the other way around as deciduous trees tend to like more moisture, conifers less moisture. Pine bark tends to hold more moisture as it breaks down.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This should be the other way around as deciduous trees tend to like more moisture, conifers less moisture. Pine bark tends to hold more moisture as it breaks down.
Let’s just agree that it’s different the world Over OK .........Your statement works for you and could be generally a solid statement.......so it’s true with some species then again...... it’s like location, location, location....all depends right.
The conifers I have (Mtn. Hemlock, J.Larch, Shore Pine) love and thrive with a good proportion of Seasoil (which is sifted and not pine bark)....the % is different for all 3......less for Pine and Larch more for Hemlock. Sure I may use a more organic mix for my deciduous and accents but in proportion I use more pumice and Lava (when I can get it) than organic mix.....it worked for me for the last 15 years........

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Let’s just agree that it’s different the world Over OK .........Your statement works for you and could be generally a solid statement.......so it’s true with some species then again...... it’s like location, location, location....all depends right.
The conifers I have (Mtn. Hemlock, J.Larch, Shore Pine) love and thrive with a good proportion of Seasoil (which is sifted and not pine bark)....the % is different for all 3......less for Pine and Larch more for Hemlock. Sure I may use a more organic mix for my deciduous and accents but in proportion I use more pumice and Lava (when I can get it) than organic mix.....it worked for me for the last 15 years........
Go for it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ill just say this then Im out of this soil war....lol

I tried the cheap and readily available soil materials when I first started Bonsai. I used a coarse sand and gravel mix.

It drained well but stayed too wet, WWAAAYY to wet. It was also too heavy to carry around easily and it was very dense.

My trees survived but they had barely any root growth. After 3 years I switched to my current mix and saw my trees go nuts with growing roots.
I also dont have to worry about over watering or underwatering. I water them every day in the summer and every other day in the cooler spring and fall.

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you all for great input!
I gotta say it's so nice to have this forum to turn to. I search for information in other people's threads here all the time, always nice people willing to share their experiences here.
We only have one national bonsai society in Norway which I will join in January (have to pay a yearly fee to join), so I think that's gonna be good too:)

Top Bottom