Success of a zone 3-7 tree in zone 9b

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Apologies if this has been answered before - my searching couldn't find it. How well do bonsai grow in a hotter zone?

For example, I live in Sacramento CA, zone 9b: Mild winters with lows in the mid 30s, and hot brutal summers. I'm looking at getting a Potentilla fruticosa, which is zone 3-7. Specifically, I'm looking at the Pink Beauty cultivar since my wife loves pale pink flowers. (As they say, "Happy wife, happy bonsai life.") How successful might this be in zone 9b?

I know that azaleas grow well in zone 9b, but I'm intrigued by the Potentilla fruticosa because the flowers last much longer.

Thanks in advance!

toasalp

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would like to get Beech grove not going to happen Southern Cali.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
After spending the better part of 20 years growing in Phoenix and Vegas, one of the things I learned was when you pee in the wind, the only thing you get is a wet leg.

In all seriousness, there are loads of trees you can grow in your zone. Life is too short to reach for ones that don't. Crepe myrtle is one that will thrive in that zone and give you any color you want.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have happy larch, spruce, and alpine pine species in urban Portland, OR — zone 8. I do have a bit of a green thumb, though.

But the above guidance about suitability for your zone is great.

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A population of 1 is hardly enough to draw conclusions, but I have a Potentilla, that sat neglected for 3-4 years on our dark-grey south-facing deck experiencing full sun and >100F summer days (this summer I measured the deck boards at 138F). It grew like crazy with lots of flowers. So I think it might be able to handle Sacramento summers. The question is if they need winter dormancy, which maybe someone else can answer.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've been growing potentilla fruticosa in pots and in the ground for about a decade. They do pretty well in full sun. Even though I am zone 8, I'm in a coastal Douglas fir forest which means well over 1,000 hours below 40F or so every winter.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Climate Zone Envy

I'm always coveting species that could not possibly grow in my own climate.

I then make myself surf through native plant websites for native trees in my area. Eventually I see something that gets my mind off the ones I can not possibly grow.

Top Bottom