Succulents- are they bonsai?

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
One other thing to keep in mind is that just like with bonsai, many/most of the cool species probably require/prefer full sun and will not be ideal as indoor subjects. Most houseplants are forest understory types of plants that naturally occur in shady environments. Most succulents are hot/dry adapted and shade is probably foreign to them.

Lauren Shisler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One of my favorite succulent "bonsai" I have, adenium obesum.

I've also got tons of varieties of sedum growing as accent and ground cover.
Aaron
I've been looking to get my hands on one of those for a while! Where on earth did you get yours?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've been looking to get my hands on one of those for a while! Where on earth did you get yours?
I actually got it at the nursery I work at a couple years ago, it's the only one I bought and we haven't brought them in since:oops:. This is actually the first time it's flowered for me, up until last week I didn't water it since September. Lol must love neglect.:)

Aaron

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg So this guy is on FB his pot and plants are fabulous. No one told me. I just found him today.
Love these.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Check this thread again.
The name of the succulent and the potter - found.
I think pork bush are definently bonsai. Idk about those, but they are awesome! Look like some sort of alien dr. Suess creation.

What is the first one??

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The short answer to the question "are succulents bonsai" is "some are, some aren't" Most aren't. Most are accent plants

Attachments

• newbench1.jpg
    newbench1.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 14

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awww....:(

Wait...

Is today opposite day?

Just...
Maybe those folks who think Junipers look like broccoli don't know what broccoli is!

However....

I am a little upset to not see that shotgun yet!;)

Sorce

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If I wait till I have a masterpiece juni to share on here I will never be allowed to post.:(
I get inspiration from a lot of different things and this broccoli does inspire me.
Lol

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The short answer to the question "are succulents bonsai" is "some are, some aren't" Most aren't. Most are accent plants
You wouldn't use a succulent accent though with a tropical tree (right?)
The accent should usually be from the same climate???

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You wouldn't use a succulent accent though with a tropical tree (right?)
The accent should usually be from the same climate???
The prickly pear alongside the live oak in my photo grow together in Texas, where both were collected. That said, it depends on the succulent and the tree on whether I'd put them together.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have had a desert rose for like 4 years and not once has it bloomed, :( I am jealous
This one bloomed after 3 months of being in my greenhouse with no water. The trunk shrank quite a bit then out of nowhere it bloomed, surpringly it's still going.

Aaron

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've always like older jade "bonsai" but not the winter care of them so it's a long distance relationship.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This one bloomed after 3 months of being in my greenhouse with no water. The trunk shrank quite a bit then out of nowhere it bloomed, surpringly it's still going.

Aaron
Good for you. I barely water mine, but no blooms. I guess I suck

Top Bottom