Suckers: Are they good for Nebari or are they just bad

Are suckers good for Nebari?

• Firmly Yes, they are good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, they drain too much energy

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Yes, but they draw some energy

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • They don't affect your tree at all (no good, no bad)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They cause more harm than good

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Sucker baad, no good at all

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi,

Most of the information I've read points to the need to remove suckers so that they don't draw energy from the main trunk(s) of your bonsai. I remember reading or hearing from somebody that suckers may not really be that bad, because they grow out from roots and may help thicken rootage on your bonsai.

I'd like to know what people think about this subject. Thanks in advance.

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
it depends.

On some wildly suckering species like Chaenomeles, it is best to remove them or you will never increase trunk caliper. On other species, like Malus, they can be beneficial for nebari if they are close enough to the trunk to encourage 'plate' formation right under the buttress. Allowing suckers to form just to thicken roots sounds like a bad idea to me, since overly thick roots is almost always more of a problem than thin roots that you can control and grow out evenly.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com
see our blog at http://BonsaiNurseryman.typepad.com

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
i think that question is too general i would think the answer would vary depending on what specie we are dealing with

Reaction score
USDA Zone
i think that question is too general i would think the answer would vary depending on what specie we are dealing with

What species would you say it would be beneficial for?

Thanks for the publicity in your signature, by the way, it's nice to have fans! ;)

Will

AndyWilson

Mame
Reaction score
My teacher has some old olives she lets sucker, something i think about keeping certain old roots going, but i may be mistaken. Will have to ask her about that one again.

Top Bottom