Sucsessful Firing of Stone Age StoneWare Pots in Larger Kiln

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a smaller Olympic kiln which is a manual kiln that I have fired all my final firings in. My large Skutt kiln has only been used for bisque prior to this last firing which was cone 6 stoneware. I was really happy with my results. This larger kiln is a beast. Whereas my smaller kiln is good for about 4 or 5 bonsai pots of moderate size, the large kiln will easily hold 18 to 24 pots. Its a lot of work getting that many together at one time though.
A lot of this is sold but a few pieces could end up offered here.
IMG_5550.JPGIMG_5551.JPGIMG_5552.JPGIMG_5553.JPG

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lovely contrast of the glazed interiors w/stone age exteriors -- I know those aren't bonsai pots, but I can't help but see the potential for a really remarkable "land and water" landscape pot. 🤔

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lovely contrast of the glazed interiors w/stone age exteriors -- I know those aren't bonsai pots, but I can't help but see the potential for a really remarkable "land and water" landscape pot. 🤔
That's exactly what I thought, too. Just a little mound planting in the center so the interior glaze is part of the spectacle.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's exactly what I thought, too. Just a little mound planting in the center so the interior glaze is part of the spectacle.
That's interesting. I had one customer that uses them for ikabon.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You have convinced me to make a few for that purpose. I am open to and welcome any suggestions.
First thought was a raised ring around the center or else a deeper bowl in the center to help contain the planting. Maybe a little of both? A ring would need drainage holes so any water that gets on the outside can run off.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First thought was a raised ring around the center or else a deeper bowl in the center to help contain the planting. Maybe a little of both? A ring would need drainage holes so any water that gets on the outside can run off.
Maybe. A ring would make it easier for some but be more limiting for others. Certainly there would be both drain and tie down holes.
When I have a chance I will make a pot and plant it thus. Blue or blue/green seems appropriate for a glaze.
I'm so glad you're making pots again.
Thanks Carol. BTW, Amaco just produced a new glaze called Purple Crystal. I have not tried it yet but will next week if I find the time. There is a local store I sell my other plates, bowls and such to that loves purple.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Amaco just produced a new glaze called Purple Crystal.
Interesting! I got the new Mayco glazes this past summer. I was not tracking this one from AMACO. Going to check it out now.

EDIT: I did see this one, I don't remember if I bought this one or not.

Question: Do you vent your kilns when you fire? Do you have all your peephole plugged or leaving the top one out to vent?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting! I got the new Mayco glazes this past summer. I was not tracking this one from AMACO. Going to check it out now.

Question: Do you vent your kilns when you fire? Do you have all your peephole plugged or leaving the top one out to vent?
I was surprised to see it at the Kiln Doctor store visit yesterday. BTW, I really love Mayco glazes, they are so consistent.
I have not hooked up my vents but now that I am finish firing in my large kiln it has become a priority to do so. On my manual kiln I plug both peepholes when I switch it to high. I know people who leave there top plugs out through the complete firing. Venting is a smart thing to do for several reasons, both for your health and for the health of your kiln. The more likely you are to use wax, which is highly corrosive, or metallic oxide stains, including many glazes, the more wear and tear your elements experience.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know people who leave there top plugs out through the complete firing. Venting is a smart thing to do for several reasons, both for your health and for the health of your kiln. The more likely you are to use wax, which is highly corrosive, or metallic oxide stains, including many glazes, the more wear and tear your elements experience.
Does leaving out the top plug slightly extend the firing cycle?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
NICE pots! I really like the larger, unglazed pots in pictures 2 & 3 for conifers. If you ever have one for sale, pls let me know. Good job!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
NICE pots! I really like the larger, unglazed pots in pictures 2 & 3 for conifers. If you ever have one for sale, pls let me know. Good job!
I certainly will let you know. I know there are a few not spoken for and I will be making more soon. From start to finish is usually 3 to 4 weeks.

Top Bottom