Suddenly obsessed with JBP and now broke

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been interested in bonsai for years, and in the beginning it was specifically pine trees. But Japanese black pine seemed common, complicated and it wound up being one of very few species that I had trouble keeping alive and healthy. So I focused on other pines. Since then I've shifted toward deciduous which are a true test of patience and husbandry (since my backyard is incredibly sunny). Anyway.. I woke up June first completely obsessed with JBP and I don't really know why or what did it. I went on sheffields right away and ordered a seed packet to begin developing my own, lots of great literature online, maybe more than any other species.
image2 (12).jpeg

In the meantime I visited my local bonsai nursery and picked up a handful of (i estimate) 5 year old JBP seedling with nice low buds. They were $10 a pop and I almost wish I had bought more. Also traded for a mikawa seedling from a NJ nursery to develop.
image4 (5).jpegimage3 (6).jpeg

But this still didn't scratch the itch. I wanted to balance vigor, decandle and develop an apex so I had to spend money and buy something further along. While I can't afford a finished tree I dropped a little more and bought a chinese imported tree. I think the roots look awesome and it's ready for all the fun stuff.
image0 (19).jpegimage1 (11).jpeg

I was broke as a joke before I woke up with this new obsession but now I'm straight up worried. The goal is to develop a new round of seedlings every year and eventually start recouping some of the cost, I can justify this since my investments are doing so poorly haha. I talked a lot of shit on this species through the years so I'm here to eat my humble pie, I suddenly get it. This is the first species I've ever worked with that is well documented. Bonsai tonight, various youtube channels, bonsai zines and peter teas blog have all been great resources. If you have any tips or resources you love that might be lesser known please let me know. I'm not a bonsai novice and not even a pine beginner but the double flush thing is new. Development of young stock and basic husbandry are my main focuses right now

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just wait till you start cutting candles and witness their response first hand!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wait till you start cutting candles and witness their response first hand!

I planted 10 kale seeds, 2 rows of 5, only one row sprouted. I think the slugs are eating them.

Like the rooty one!

Get Get Black.

Sorce

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks very fun!

buy,buy,buy!!!

……just kidding.
I’ve been on your eBay page twice this week. I’m wondering if it will round out my collection or be over kill… expect to mail me a package haha

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks very fun!

buy,buy,buy!!!

……just kidding.
Wow last time i looked it was 25, now you are up there in sales... very impressed. Thinking about it, I see adamaskwhy grows them not that far north

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow last time i looked it was 25, now you are up there in sales... very impressed. Thinking about it, I see adamaskwhy grows them not that far north
There are many more than what is listed remaining….probably 150 or so.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what soil is closest to the rockwool you grow them in?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
what soil is closest to the rockwool you grow them in?
Go volcanic for sure and don’t worry about differences in moisture they’ll need water daily and the Grodin is volcanic also so water daily if you don’t that inner cube will definitely dry out don’t worry about overwatering it whatsoever to keep up with the other media you use ,but definitely volcanic is the way to go!!!

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here’s a couple I ordered from cmeg1 in may 2020. Already almost 3’ tall! I regret not wiring more movement into them but I think they could still handle some abuse. I have been growing out for trunk thickness but decided its time to start trimming the lower branches and getting some ramification. 57C19C99-705A-488D-A023-337E6769C7E4.jpeg3750FB79-2661-4C94-943A-FE788FE63920.jpeg

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You had them in those short pots the 3 years?

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You had them in those short pots the 3 years?
No, the pic is deceiving because of the grass. I repotted them this spring. Really happy with the dense rootball they have! When ordered from cmeg, they came with instructions to keep in the rootpouch and I overlooked them actually so they prob would be even better if I followed the instructions. Theyre really fun and I’m tempted to order more but just dont have the room.530EB83C-4F8E-437D-AE01-D5B12670B19A.jpeg6185E0A8-BBFE-4033-9154-A2342FC7C252.jpeg0528E7CC-4D20-4FF6-9C95-6D89BE82FE80.jpeg

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No, the pic is deceiving because of the grass. I repotted them this spring. Really happy with the dense rootball they have! When ordered from cmeg, they came with instructions to keep in the rootpouch and I overlooked them actually so they prob would be even better if I followed the instructions. Theyre really fun and I’m tempted to order more but just dont have the room.View attachment 444581View attachment 444582View attachment 444583
Hummmm... don't have room? Look at all that room you have in the pictures.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice photo, what do you do with that rootball, cut and spread, or just laid on new material?

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice photo, what do you do with that rootball, cut and spread, or just laid on new material?
087E9586-6925-408C-ABCA-A8EDD73638E7.jpegI trimmed them up quite a bit. The roots were circling the bottom of the pots and they were raising up.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ouch, cut those fat roots clean off.. those were the good ones. But that's why I had root problems, always wanting to save stuff like that.
Amazing how they liked that dry terra cotta so much. Will be watching, I also will be getting a seedling or seeds or both.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My first JBP will be the one I ordered from @cmeg1 . I figured If I was going to get one it may as well be a good one and his look about as good as it can get for little JBP…..Now…. If he decided to offer larger more grown out ones, I will definitely have to get another one. I can see where they can become an addiction 😂

Top Bottom