Suggest an indoor evergreen or conifer to stay under lights

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm taking some larger aluminum cans and building reflectors to go over the lights,
My grow lights came with reflectors that just slide in, so you can use them if you want them, or not.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks!
Unfortunately, @Leo in N E Illinois, there is no alcove, just the flat wall with a 4 bulb fixture mounted right on it. I think I posted a pic at the beginning. Just moved, which put me in debt, which I dislike more than my plain grey wall, so there isn't much room in the budget for anything I can't find at the thrift store right now. Except bulbs, of course. Not a common thrift store item.
I'm aware of the faults of janky tin can redneck engineering, but if it's what you got, you make it work.

I do have an 18" T15 at 3100K at work over the cuttings @Carol 83 sent for my students. (Should update that thread sometime soon.) Seems to be doing alright for that, so maybe I can find something similar for this if I get some spare change soon.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey there! I haven’t seen it mentioned in the comments, probably because we all enjoy horticulture and actually taking care of plants— but consider a preserved juniper or pine of your choice. You can grow it yourself, style it, and then preserve it (💀) when the moment is right.

Alternatively, it’s possible to make a high quality faux plant from scratch by using chemically preserved foliage and wood from the species of your choice. Simply preserve, carve, glue, pot, etc.

I’ve never built a faux plant intended to be viewed at bonsai scale, but I’ve made my share of model trees over the years and they can be very rewarding if you put the time in.

Perhaps not what you’re looking for at all, but either way happy hunting and growing to you ❤️

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a cottage industry producing faux bonsai--some of them are quite good or at least pretty decent

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Faux bonsai are fine, until they get dusty. Then they loose their charm, and somehow no amount of dusting ever brings them back to looking alive.

I don't know how well Norfolk Island pines do as bonsai, but they do great indoors. I had one for about 5 years, gave it to my mom, and she has it ten years later. It's doing great, about 6 feet tall after a couple prunes.

Sadly, Norfolk pine, and all the other araucaria species do not react well to "bonsai techniques". If you want your Norfolk to look like anything other than a Norfolk pine, they just don't comply. Many have tried to do "bonsai" with the several Araucaria species, and generally, they end up looking exactly like seedling Araucaria.

Now I do like the tree like look of Araucaria, and young ones can be kept slow growing by keeping them pot bound. But eventually they just get too big to be kept indoors.

Norfolk seedlings can work to some degree, but they really don't submit to bonsai the way a scots pine or elm would submit.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There is a cottage industry producing faux bonsai--some of them are quite good or at least pretty decent
Would you look at that! Learn something new every day 👍

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know how well Norfolk Island pines do as bonsai, but they do great indoors. I had one for about 5 years, gave it to my mom, and she has it ten years later. It's doing great, about 6 feet tall after a couple prunes.
I thought about Norfolks, but then...
Faux bonsai are fine, until they get dusty. Then they loose their charm, and somehow no amount of dusting ever brings them back to looking alive.

Sadly, Norfolk pine, and all the other araucaria species do not react well to "bonsai techniques". If you want your Norfolk to look like anything other than a Norfolk pine, they just don't comply. Many have tried to do "bonsai" with the several Araucaria species, and generally, they end up looking exactly like seedling Araucaria.

Now I do like the tree like look of Araucaria, and young ones can be kept slow growing by keeping them pot bound. But eventually they just get too big to be kept indoors.

Norfolk seedlings can work to some degree, but they really don't submit to bonsai the way a scots pine or elm would submit.
👆
What he said.

The faux tree idea...
Hey there! I haven’t seen it mentioned in the comments, probably because we all enjoy horticulture and actually taking care of plants— but consider a preserved juniper or pine of your choice. You can grow it yourself, style it, and then preserve it (💀) when the moment is right.

Alternatively, it’s possible to make a high quality faux plant from scratch by using chemically preserved foliage and wood from the species of your choice. Simply preserve, carve, glue, pot, etc.

I’ve never built a faux plant intended to be viewed at bonsai scale, but I’ve made my share of model trees over the years and they can be very rewarding if you put the time in.

Perhaps not what you’re looking for at all, but either way happy hunting and growing to you ❤️
Nailed it in the first line.

It's not just for decoration. It's an interaction every time I'm filling the coffee pot, or doing the dishes.
I do appreciate the thought, though. Never thought of preserving them or making something from the dead trunks. That might be a project for the next tree I kill.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I thought about Norfolks, but then...

👆
What he said.

The faux tree idea...

Nailed it in the first line.

It's not just for decoration. It's an interaction every time I'm filling the coffee pot, or doing the dishes.
I do appreciate the thought, though. Never thought of preserving them or making something from the dead trunks. That might be a project for the next tree I kill.
Ah, that's too bad.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I know @HorseloverFat mentioned Pinus pinea early in this thread. I am trying one under lights this year. It's kinda ugly, kinda cute, brings pinyon to mind so that could work for you. Mine came from the grocery store Christmas tree selection last year. When I searched whether or not it needed a dormant period I found this thread: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/pines-that-don’t-require-winter-dormancy.45671/ . Post #4 suggests Pinus pinea.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know @HorseloverFat mentioned Pinus pinea early in this thread. I am trying one under lights this year. It's kinda ugly, kinda cute, brings pinyon to mind so that could work for you. Mine came from the grocery store Christmas tree selection last year. When I searched whether or not it needed a dormant period I found this thread: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/pines-that-don’t-require-winter-dormancy.45671/ . Post #4 suggests Pinus pinea.
And those are common potted Christmas trees this time of year.
I'll have to look into what sort of light requirements they need.
Thanks!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Something like this maybe.
IMG_20211203_182302_292.jpg
I found a new light fixture that seemed like it would work better and the shelf at the thrift store on payday. Bulbs were a gift from my brother. Together they max out my camera sensors and make the grow light apps on my phone go fubar. Not sure of their exact specs.
I mounted the shelf centered with the sink in stead of the lights because, well it just felt right. Over to the right more and it could get in the way of the dish strainer too.

Thinking some track shelves would be nice in the future. Would allow for switching up arrangements, multiple trees, and adjusting distance from the lights.

I'll track this so folks can learn from what may inevitably be a complete disaster.

Also, why are there no Italian stone pine Christmas trees this year? What gives?

Top Bottom