Suggested Bonsai Idea Virus.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In this day and age it seems appropriate to introduce an Idea Virus. A germ that can multiply and spread as it grows.
What is your process for deciding what to keep and what to develop? As I get older the focus becomes how many trees do I wish to care for and which ones should I keep? Advancing age often includes downsizing and making hard choices. Strictly voluntary participation. But what if one day per year was set aside for a BET!

Otherwise known as Bonsai Evaluation Technique. This was an exercise with Michael Hagedoorn many years ago during one of his intensive classes.

Simple process of walking around your personal collection and placing a value on each of your trees using a scale of 1-10.

Rule#1 Disregard foliage and branching in the evaluation. ( easy to change )

Rule #2 Key in on the basic elements that are critical to the species under consideration.
Trunk, Nebari, Movement, Taper, Age

Rule #3 Keep only those that score a minimum of 6 or 7 to begin with, adjusting the number as your collection improves. If ties occur keep the material that can be most easily improved. Have a target in mind for overall number of trees you wish to keep in your personal collection.

Note: this can become a more effective process when one becomes familiar with standards or expectations for species. Notes from judges or show standards can be useful here.

Likely benefits would include improving your collection, ability to select additional trees for your collection and improved appreciation for Show Quality Bonsai.

Practical benefits include spending more time with material that holds higher promise and potential results.

** Most applicable to developed trees as opposed to young trees under development, however focussing on key elements is valuable to remind us of those steps needed in development.

Does this process have any use for beginners or those working with developmental material and or selecting new material? Absolutely, a better understanding of what to develop and or look for in acquisitions.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm six years in and have been trying to do something like this all year. You have inspired me to hone in.
I'm currently doing a 1 on 1/ heart to heart with each of mine updating notes and photos as I clean up and pack them away for winter.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm six years in and have been trying to do something like this all year. You have inspired me to hone in.
I'm currently doing a 1 on 1/ heart to heart with each of mine updating notes and photos as I clean up and pack them away for winter.
2 years in - I'll probably have to evaluate at a 2-4 instead of 6-7 ;)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
2 years in - I'll probably have to evaluate at a 2-4 instead of 6-7 ;)
One can evaluate potential and younger stock is easier to change. Those beginning are often working with younger stock. Remember ignore the foliage and branching. If trees are young and more easily manipulated then movement and taper can be added. Nebari can be developed. Although it is always better to select more suitable material in the beginning when acquiring stock.

The process is probably more suited to narrowing down those you wish to keep in a personal collection after they reach a certain stage of refinement. For instance I have roughly 500 trees in my nursery under varying stages of development and refinement. At this point in time fifteen are part of my personal collection that will go with me when I downsize.

Each year I identify those that should be retained longer for higher potential and eventually I may decide to add them to my collection. Occasionally I change my mind and swap out one from my collection in favour of a new addition. The end goal is to have a manageable group that I can maintain in a smaller setting with less time and energy than I currently have at my disposal.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You familiar with @Brian Van Fleet on stack ranking? Similar thoughts:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not super related , but I have notes and next steps that I write down in a journal so I don’t forget when I’m working on stuff in my personal collection or at the studio. Also coupled with progress pictures.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
what if one day per year was set aside for a BET!
This is every day for me,

However, I exercise rule #3 to select the trees I spend the most time with. These have the greatest promise and potential benefit to me as my aim is to make lemonade. I am trying to develop my right-brain 'thinking' and have some fun while I struggle with it. Hence, my best stuff tends to bore me and is allowed to just sit over there in the landscape display.

The bar gets raised on getting into my collection, not for staying in it.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You familiar with @Brian Van Fleet on stack ranking? Similar thoughts:

I do believe I read that at one time. The practise is very common in most propagation. The most extreme example I became familiar with was the Japanese Koi Farm that culled the first batch to the top 10%, then kept only 10% of the remaining batch at the next stage, and so on. The end result was that perhaps 1% reached consideration for show Koi. They do start with a lot of fry though, that is one advantage.
I do believe with trees we have a little more control over development of characteristics, perhaps we can strive for 2%. LOL

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is every day for me,

However, I exercise rule #3 to select the trees I spend the most time with. These have the greatest promise and potential benefit to me as my aim is to make lemonade. I am trying to develop my right-brain 'thinking' and have some fun while I struggle with it. Hence, my best stuff tends to bore me and is allowed to just sit over there in the landscape display.

The bar gets raised on getting into my collection, not for staying in it.
Interesting, the challenge has a lot of appeal to me as well. frequently spawning silly projects with unpredictable outcomes. Safe to say a considerable amount of time gets distracted. Another reason why my collection needs to be small.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Rule #3 Keep only those that score a minimum of 6 or 7 to begin with, adjusting the number as your collection improves. If ties occur keep the material that can be most easily improved. Have a target in mind for overall number of trees you wish to keep in your personal collection.
When Michael said this to our class my immediate thought was, "looks like we'll be having a bonfire tonight"!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When Michael said this to our class my immediate thought was, "looks like we'll be having a bonfire tonight"!
Understood, common feelings after intensives with top professionals and spending time in their gardens. The first time I visited Boon, I vowed to go home and start over. Also felt that way, after attending Taikan Ten in Japan, and visiting many of their top nurseries and collections.
However it is energizing to see and actually experience what is actually possible.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rule #2 Key in on the basic elements that are critical to the species under consideration.
Trunk, Nebari, Movement, Taper, Age

One challenge I have in all these ranking excersizes.. There should be a Rule #4. Keep trees that have special value to you (e.g., your first tree, trees given to you by X etc).

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Interesting, the challenge has a lot of appeal to me as well. frequently spawning silly projects with unpredictable outcomes. Safe to say a considerable amount of time gets distracted. Another reason why my collection needs to be small.
I feel the majority of my life reflects this “distraction” you speak of…

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This rule doesn't take in consideration the interest and the pleasure one can have by making bonsai from A to somewhere on the way to Z.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This rule doesn't take in consideration the interest and the pleasure one can have by making bonsai from A to somewhere on the way to Z.
This is what I was thinking too, but then I reread:
As I get older the focus becomes how many trees do I wish to care for and which ones should I keep? Advancing age often includes downsizing and making hard choices.
Which would mean that you are actively looking at keeping the number of trees under control.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is what I was thinking too, but then I reread:

Which would mean that you are actively looking at keeping the number of trees under control.
Five years ago, I started a five year plan to reduce a certain number of trees per year. It has been progressing quite well, when I began I had approximately 35 trees in my personal collection and 700 under development. Currently down to less than 1/2 that in my personal collection and approximately 500 under development. The new year will be time for the next five year plan. Part of the old plan and the new plan is a ban on planting seeds and strict limit on cuttings for only very specific cultivars that grow quickly.;)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yesssssss! And it is coming up time for year end inventory. After all, how can one claim progress without measurement. How many little projects are tucked away in the back corners or in between larger trees?
Soil sifting begins soon, need to know how much repotting is coming up. Think of how much time and resources will be saved if only a few more were sold, traded, gifted or scrapped! Is that one really a 6 or 7?
I suppose there could be a rule that a tree must be 10 years old before it counts. Sort of like when kids begin to get the chance to sit at the adults table during family gatherings.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Part of the old plan and the new plan is a ban on planting seeds and strict limit on cuttings for only very specific cultivars that grow quickly

Please don't put it all on my shoulders LOL 😅

I'm working with +85 varieties (not counting +40 Ume cultivars and +35 Diospyros cultivars), actively propagating all of them to distribute in Canada! I'm dying for somebody else to come along so we can split-up the responsibilities/varieties (allowing me to focus more on Ume and Maples)

Top Bottom