Suggestion and Ideas needed

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
As some may know I'm organizing a sale of a major private collection in Los Angeleshttps://www.bonsainut.com/threads/los-angeles-specimen-bonsai-private-sale.34253/#post-571282
and I'm trying to figure out a way to make it accessible online as well as at the location. Getting payments aren't an issue, crating and shipping can be arranged- I'll crate the trees and buyers could make arrangements for shipping but I'm stumped at how to make it fair and accessible during the sale dates to those who can't make it to L.A.. These are mostly really high quality and large bonsai the likes of which are rarely for sale and I'd like as many as possible to have an opportunity to be able to participate. I'm open to any reasonable suggestions. Thanks in advance.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How about pre-registration both in person and online with random drawn order allowing one purchase per number. Then cycling back through or have a second drawn number for subsequent purchases? I would think the serious buyers of the really high end trees would be small in number both online and in person.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/suthins-bonsai-collcetion-sale.23415/

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The registration part isn't too much a issue the real issue is how to let people buy over the internet while the sale is going on. Being as it's in a private community it isn't possible to have people standing around waiting for their number to be called. We can have 500 on the property if we want but they all have to have their names at the gate and can't hang around the public areas. I'm trying to think of an efficient, fair way to do the in person and online sale at the same time. The big difference with The Suthin sale or the Kennet sale is that they had no online purchasing- I'd like to if possible.

Grego83

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Perhaps you can have an associate taking credit card orders over phone/internet while the sale is going on

But, I would give the people who show up in person at least a 2 hour head start. So maybe start online sales around 11 or 12. And if the trees are still available, then you sell it over the phone, go take the tag and mark it as SOLD?

That way you can maximize sales, but don't alienate the people who plan on showing up at 9 (ie: me ;))

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Perhaps you can have an associate taking credit card orders over phone/internet while the sale is going on

But, I would give the people who show up in person at least a 2 hour head start. So maybe start online sales around 11 or 12. And if the trees are still available, then you sell it over the phone, go take the tag and mark it as SOLD?

That way you can maximize sales, but don't alienate the people who plan on showing up at 9 (ie: me ;))
This is a possibility. If you are going to come please be sure to rsvp on messenger through the Facebook page Must rsvp to get on the list or they won't let you in the gate.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Why don't you just sell them on eBay, 7-10 day auctions and start them all at $0.01 and sell to the highest bidder? Or reserve them and then lower the price if they don't sell. No reserve auctions usually do well and the items will all sell and you don't have to fool with them anymore. To me that's fair as you can get.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Why don't you just sell them on eBay, 7-10 day auctions and start them all at $0.01 and sell to the highest bidder? Or reserve them and then lower the price if they don't sell. No reserve auctions usually do well and the items will all sell and you don't have to fool with them anymore. To me that's fair as you can get.
Thats not what the owner wants. They will not be auctioned.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
OK here is what we've come up with
Los Angeles Specimen Bonsai Private Sale
5353 Round Meadow Road​

Hidden Hills, CA 91302​

Saturday and Sunday July 7th and 8th 2018​

On- site in person

• Sale starts Saturday July 7th at 9am until 3pm
  • Second day starts Sunday July 8th at 10am until 3pm
  • Everyone attending MUST rsvp by PM of the sites Facebook page www.bit.ly/LASPBS or by email to bonsaibp@earthlink.net prior to 9am Thursday July 5th. Sale is in a private gated community and community rules call for all visitors to be listed with security at least 48 hours in advance. Failure to pre -register will result in not being allowed into the community. This is very important and nonnegotiable. These are the community security rules. If you even think you may come rsvp.
  • Purchases must be paid by either cash or credit card at time of purchase. All items must be removed at time of sale (or alternate hold or delivery methods arranged).
  • Any tree red tagged or that does not have a double tag is sold
  • Trees can for a fee be removed from site and stored at Kimura Bonsai Nursery for up to one week for pickup by owner
  • Only event staff is allowed to move trees
  • All prices are firm and final - please don’t even ask
  • All items are sold as is and all sales are final

• Offsite sales

Sales through a Buyer's Agent

If you wish to purchase a tree offsite, you must submit a buyer's request. Requests can be sent by Private Message (PM) on the "Los Angeles Specimen Bonsai Private Sale" Facebook page www.bit.ly/LASPBS or by email to bonsaibp@earthlink.net, beginning July 5th, until 8am, Saturday July 7th. Requests received after 8am, July 7th will not be processed until Sunday July 8th.

• Buyers may submit a request list of up to 5 trees maximum per request.

• Buyers may submit multiple requests (5 trees per request.)

• Each request must include buyers name and phone number.

• Sales will be processed in order received, so submit your requests early. If that tree is available, you will be contacted by phone to confirm your purchase, and to provide your payment information. At the time of processing, we will provide a 15 minute window where we will contact you to complete the purchase. If we cannot contact you within that timeframe, your tree will then be sold to the next available purchaser so be sure to answer your phone on sales days!

• All prices are firm and final as listed on Facebook page.

• All items sold as is and all sales are final.

Packing, crating and shipping

Any trees small enough to be boxed and shipped will be packed and shipped via UPS upon receipt of shipping fees. Shipping fees will be invoiced and sent by email within 3 days of sale. These items will be shipped on Monday July 16th.

Most trees will have to be crated in custom made crates and shipped by truck. Trees can either be crated by Kimura Bonsai at cost: approximately $100 to $150 per tree. We will recommend a shipper and all shipping arrangements and costs will paid by buyer directly to recommended shipper. Or buyer can arrange for crating and shipping by a vendor of their choice. All trees will be removed from sales site and brought to Kimura Bonsai Nursery for crating and shipping. Buyers are responsible to coordinate all shipping scheduling with Kimura Bonsai Nursery and are responsible for paying all shipping costs including insurance directly to shipper of their choice. Kimura Nursery is not responsible for any damage incurred by shippers.

Crating will start on Monday July 9th and buyers will be appraised of when their items will be available for pickup by shippers. Buyers must arrange pick up schedule with Kimura Bonsai prior to scheduling pick up by shippers.

Top Bottom