Suggestion for “Regional” forum sections

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Maybe instead of zone’s or regions, or dropping us into the Home screen that has everything new, we are able to choose which forum come up when we sign on?

So for example you just like Elms, you click a button and every time you sign on you are automatically directed to that forum. You could click multiple buttons to just get the forums you want.

Reaction score
I believe I see where Adair is going, especially if you consider how most answers to questions are climate-dependent. However I don’t think that creating different regional sub fora would work. For instance, I live in a very small country but even here climate wise it varies from subtropical to subalpine depending on where you are. I’m sure that will happen in most areas/ regions/countries making it impossible to categorize.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think the less sparse the better.
I don't really see the point. I could see a section for called clubs and you can place the Chile club or Texas club etc just to get people on board to participate in clubs in person

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I think the UK forum and European forums can be merged as one. we share many similar species. climate wise not vastly different and a lot of the same or similar advice can be given.
Will baddely once ran the Europeanbonsaiforum with members from all over Europe. @leatherback will remember it
But you need to still post your trees on the "Tree Thread", everyone should get to enjoy them.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmmm...

I wonder if @bonsainut could create new “Regional” forum sections where those who live in those regions could share regional-specific information.

I’m thinking there could be a “UK” forum, a “South America” forum, an “Australia”, a “European” forum, etc.

Not that I’m trying to exclude them from the general Bonsai Nut forums, but when discussing climate, repotting schedule, vendors, soils, and sometimes species, a lot of that stuff applies to a small subset of the general forum participants. I think it’s great that two guys from Brazil have found a way to help each other. I think it would be even more helpful to them if they had a way to hold their discussions in a way they doesnt “clutter up” the rest of the forum. Perhaps there could be a way to “opt-in” or “opt-out” of certain forum sections.

As an example, I choose not to participate in the “tea-house”. When I hit the “new posts” icon, I don’t get the teahouse posts. If each forum section could have such a feature (like an “ignore” feature), that would be great! As an example of how I would use it, I don’t do tropicals. I would love to be able to “ignore” posts that appear in the “tropicals” category.

Just a suggestion. I’ll see if I can copy this to the “suggestion” section.
75A29258-D05A-4030-8DCA-7F837150C9DB.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's a good idea but.....

Who is going to want to post where Adair wont see it!? No one!

Sorry feller, but we seek your advice!

Good advice really isn't climate specific.

Good advice is mindful.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this idea is interesting at the top level, but thinking it through, I think it would lead to isolation of user groups who talk only among themselves--which has value, but can also be a bit cramped and static over time.

I, for one, value the international and US "left coast" entries even if I can't really help those folks much with advice from the "right coast." I can generally guess what's in a post by the question and the user's location tag (WHICH IS WHY THAT IT EXTREMELY IMPORTANT FOR BEGINNERS TO FILL OUT).

Top Bottom