Suggestions for a bonsai from seed

Occams Hacksaw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello!

I'm new to bonsai but not gardening, so I think I can pull off starting some from seed.

If your zone was 9b and you wanted to grow your bonsai from seed, which ones would you choose and why? I am currently working on some Acer Rubrum in the fridge but with such conflicting information on germination, I'm skeptical whether they'll sprout or not. I've seen papers say that they germinate at a higher rate dried first with 30 (to 90) days of cold stratification. Another says only fresh seeds will sprout with Acer Rubrum and to never let them dry out.

Anyways.

What would experienced people start from seed in zone 9b?

Thanks for any input!

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh crap experienced people zone 9... That leaves me out but..

Bald Cypress (fast growth)
Crape Myrtle ( pretty flowers)

That's ones I would do.. and am doing in 5b

JBP I'm sure will come up

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
From seed: Japanese Maple, Trident Maple, JBP, and Elm all should do OK in your area with reasonable protection from the harshest sun in the heat of summer... Natives will grow fine in your area for sure, but if you are growing for bonsai, use species that adapt well to being Bonsai. I thinking Cedar Elms are common in your part of the country? They make nice Bonsai...
There are probably hundreds of trees you could use...

The question is- are you sure you want to start from seed? You are just setting yourself up for a lonnnngggg wait! Even buying a few seedlings a couple years old would save you well.. a coupe, of years! The primary benefits of growing from seed is that you can grow a bunch of trees for a small amount of money, and as they grow you can shape them howevery you want because they are small enough to be wired easily.... if you get some seedling small enough to wire you save some time and still have control over development...
BUT, you are still in most cases 10-15+ years from having a "Bonsai"... Invest a little time and money, find a few trees at a local nursery you can start working with to get used to caring for varieties that make good Bonsai- get a Juniper or two, a Maple and/or an Elm or two... get used to caring for them, you can plant seeds during this time if you wish but that will give you something to work with while you are growing the seeds out so you have a good idea what you are doing once they get ready for Work! When you feel comfortable caring for different types of trees, then you can "branch out" and get better, more expensive stock to work with and have a higher chance of success...

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I want to also do this... Have a few seeds, maybe 15-20 and start from scratch, whilst working on tree of course.
I know the issues with starting at seeds and time being a big factor but as long as its a small project and you have other trees for your main projects, I don't see a problem with seeds at all.
Its a good experience, I would think. Costs next to nothing and I'm sure its not a big time sink.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I second growing bald cypress, and you could probably do acacia outside. I have a couple A. rubrum but I colected them, they are rampant weeds here in PA. I would assume you could stomp on the seeds and then microwave them and still get 95% germination

Occams Hacksaw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oh crap experienced people zone 9... That leaves me out but..

Bald Cypress (fast growth)
Crape Myrtle ( pretty flowers)

That's ones I would do.. and am doing in 5b

JBP I'm sure will come up

Both seem very well suited for my area. Thank you for the suggestions! How far along are you with them?

Occams Hacksaw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Go native. Mesquite and palo verde. I spent most of my life in Tucson until moving to Florida 5 years ago. When I go back for a visit this fall i'm planning on bringing back a bunch of seed pods and some small collected trees.

I've been kicking that very idea around all winter. Both come in some interesting shapes out in the wild, but to be honest? I think I'm sick of looking at them. haha!

Perhaps that is just what I need, though. Something I don't care too much about and won't kill with too much attention.

Thanks for the input! I think I'll collect a few just to do it.

Occams Hacksaw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
From seed: Japanese Maple, Trident Maple, JBP, and Elm all should do OK in your area with reasonable protection from the harshest sun in the heat of summer... Natives will grow fine in your area for sure, but if you are growing for bonsai, use species that adapt well to being Bonsai. I thinking Cedar Elms are common in your part of the country? They make nice Bonsai...
There are probably hundreds of trees you could use...

The question is- are you sure you want to start from seed? You are just setting yourself up for a lonnnngggg wait! Even buying a few seedlings a couple years old would save you well.. a coupe, of years! The primary benefits of growing from seed is that you can grow a bunch of trees for a small amount of money, and as they grow you can shape them howevery you want because they are small enough to be wired easily.... if you get some seedling small enough to wire you save some time and still have control over development...
BUT, you are still in most cases 10-15+ years from having a "Bonsai"... Invest a little time and money, find a few trees at a local nursery you can start working with to get used to caring for varieties that make good Bonsai- get a Juniper or two, a Maple and/or an Elm or two... get used to caring for them, you can plant seeds during this time if you wish but that will give you something to work with while you are growing the seeds out so you have a good idea what you are doing once they get ready for Work! When you feel comfortable caring for different types of trees, then you can "branch out" and get better, more expensive stock to work with and have a higher chance of success...

Sound advice for sure. I do realize it's a long wait but my instincts tell me that I'll be happier having grown some from seed. Of course, they've been completely wrong before. I do plan on trying to collect some wild material this year. I went to a large local nursery the other day, but nothing caught my eye. I always go though the nursery at the home improvement stores as well. I haven't found anything yet, but I've come close. Just another testament to my inexperience, no doubt. What do you think about the ones you can have shipped with the glued rocks from somewhere like amazon? I get the feeling that wild collection is best while waiting on seeds.

I think the best way to sum up my intentions with growing from seed without any bonsai experience is so that I can get a head start on things that are common starting points, are difficult to mess up, and pay off down the road. Things like planting your maple over a tile. My biggest problem with maple is that I'm pushing the limits on the zone tolerance.. which brought me to you wonderful people!

Thank you for the tree suggestions, I will add them to my list.

Occams Hacksaw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I second growing bald cypress, and you could probably do acacia outside. I have a couple A. rubrum but I colected them, they are rampant weeds here in PA. I would assume you could stomp on the seeds and then microwave them and still get 95% germination

That's reassuring to hear. I hope to see something from them.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have matched China zone 9b to your 9b.

You should be able to grow Fukien tea, Sageretia t., Chinese Southern Elms,Serissa s., Podocarpus and Ligustrum types
outdoors.
You can also just pop down to your library and check on trees and shrubs in our area, also ask at clubs in
your area.

Yes, you should be able to grow J.b, pines and other pines from seed.

I mention the Chinese stuff because you maybe able to get small plants and cuttings.
Additionally, they are proven to produce fine Bonsai.
Best of choices.
Good Day
Anthony

Occams Hacksaw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have matched China zone 9b to your 9b.

You should be able to grow Fukien tea, Sageretia t., Chinese Southern Elms,Serissa s., Podocarpus and Ligustrum types
outdoors.
You can also just pop down to your library and check on trees and shrubs in our area, also ask at clubs in
your area.

Yes, you should be able to grow J.b, pines and other pines from seed.

I mention the Chinese stuff because you maybe able to get small plants and cuttings.
Additionally, they are proven to produce fine Bonsai.
Best of choices.
Good Day
Anthony

Excellent suggestions, thank you! The stuff on my local list includes some pine and mesquite. I had 5 Japanese Boxwood shrubs that were 20-25 years old but I was talked into removing them a few years back. I knew I'd regret that eventually. I will look into those Chinese ones you've mentioned.

You are all very helpful, thanks again!

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just started last spring...
Last year I planted Bald Cypress seed now I have a hundred or so. I picked up 2 $20 ones from a landscape place (just traded one) and was able to collect a larger one. I feel pretty good on them and have lots to mess with.
On the Crape Myrtle I drug a 3 back from work roadtrips. One regular the gets the damn leaf mold ( maybe fire sacrifice for @sorce this year) a semi dwarf that I love and got seeds from( planting tomorrow) a a dwarf. I like the dwarf and its "supposed" to be hard in my zone. I put in the ground will see if it wakes up from winter.
If you do any pine seeds go through the pine section. There is a great write up on starting them from seed. I can't remember who did it. This year will be the year of the PINE for me. Lots of seeds to plant and figure out how to keep them alive.

Occams Hacksaw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just started last spring...
Last year I planted Bald Cypress seed now I have a hundred or so. I picked up 2 $20 ones from a landscape place (just traded one) and was able to collect a larger one. I feel pretty good on them and have lots to mess with.
On the Crape Myrtle I drug a 3 back from work roadtrips. One regular the gets the damn leaf mold ( maybe fire sacrifice for @sorce this year) a semi dwarf that I love and got seeds from( planting tomorrow) a a dwarf. I like the dwarf and its "supposed" to be hard in my zone. I put in the ground will see if it wakes up from winter.
If you do any pine seeds go through the pine section. There is a great write up on starting them from seed. I can't remember who did it. This year will be the year of the PINE for me. Lots of seeds to plant and figure out how to keep them alive.

Mold is a nightmare. While I find the dry climate difficult at times, you really have to earn mold/mildew here. Letting them dry out on the other hand? Piece of cake.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bonsai from seed sounds like it's easy to do. It's not! When you grow young stock, you want to develop low branches, taper, short internodes...

But how do you do that? If you're a beginner, you won't know how! By the time you learn enough to know how, the seedlings have outgrown the stage where you could have set them on a good course. Meanwhile, the seedlings you have spent years growing a pretty much useless!

The best way to learn bonsai is to start with a larger plant, and cut back. Then let it grow out again. Once you learn how the plant responds, then you'll have an idea of how to grow from seed.

Rusty Davis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
From what I gather some cultivars are prone to mold the semi dwarf right beside it was fine. I do agree with @Adair M big and cutting back is the way to go. Seeds are fun though, keeps me entertained

Top Bottom