Suggestions for beginner accent plants.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lately I've found my attention really drawn to the accent plants and grasses I see accompanying display trees. I also have several pots that will remain empty this year. I figured why not fill a couple of them with some accent plants to bring some interest to my benches? The nurseries in my town are pretty basic compared to the bigger ones in Nashville and Chattanooga - so suggestions for something beginner friendly and common would be appreciated.

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm certainly no expert on the subject but I remember seeing at bonsaiempire (.com of course) a lot of guidelines for accent plants. You may be able to grow some basic plants from seed.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Weeds from your back yard. Ajuga, violas, or violets, grasses, sedges, and any smaller growing ferns. Often mixed together in the same pot.

I have used miniature orchid species, Masdevallia, Pleurothallis, Promenaea any of the small flowered small growing orchids. You can mix them with grasses or ferns too.

Sedum are popular as kusamono.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Accent plant fall in a fair number of categories.

Shitakusa - specifically means an accent plant who's highest point is below the height of the stand the main tree is on. Usually composed of several forest species. Intended to set the place as a forest scene and set the time of year. So berries and autumn colors for fall, flowers with few or no leaves for early spring. Various flowers for summer or late spring. Asters for early autumn.

Sanyasou - these are Kusamono who's purpose is to be the centerpoint of a display. These can be quite large. Mixed species or a specimen of a single species. Most common include grasses and woody trees and blooming herbaceous. Stag horn sumac in autumn color falls into this category. Can be used as focal point of a 3 or 5 point display if its visual presence is strong enough. Like all bonsai displays the Sanyasou should evoke a feeling, suggest a place and time of year.

Kusamono in its most generic means grass planting. Usually is mixed with grasses, moss, ferns and flowering plants. But pretty much anything goes if it is executed well.

Top Bottom