Suggestions for Flowering Tree Forest

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
Started the annual peruse of seed catalogues, and I had an idea for a project: a forest of flowering trees from seed.

However, my understanding is that Malus, Prunus, and Pyrus can take 10+ years from seed to bloom, when grown in the ground. My fear is this flowering forest might then never get past juvenile growth.

Which species of tree most easily blooms from seed? Or should I just give up on the seed idea, find a full-size tree, and take cuttings to set up the planting?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Started the annual peruse of seed catalogues, and I had an idea for a project: a forest of flowering trees from seed.

However, my understanding is that Malus, Prunus, and Pyrus can take 10+ years from seed to bloom, when grown in the ground. My fear is this flowering forest might then never get past juvenile growth.

Which species of tree most easily blooms from seed? Or should I just give up on the seed idea, find a full-size tree, and take cuttings to set up the planting?
I think cuttings or air layers are the way to go. The trick will be selecting a species with small enough flowers. As I'm sure you're aware, the flowers won't reduce. So unless you're going for a huge forest, most flowering trees will be tough.

Pyracantha have very small flowers, but in pretty large clusters. Could selectively prune those. They also strike easily from cuttings and layers. Some crab apples and hawthorns might work. Someone here can surely suggest other species with small flowers?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Prunus and malus usually have smallish flowers, a diameter about the length of the 1st joint on your thumb.
In fact, most common edible fruit trees will make small blossoms.
Sorry, I'm most familiar with fruit trees, but at least you'll get a delicious fruit cocktail from your project.
I've seen folks on here working on lilac. The hanging clusters can be larger depending on the variety, but that may work aesthetically.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe look at shrubs as well. There are a few shrubs with smaller flowers. Hawthorn, spirea, currant, and some lilacs.

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For another cherry, just not from seed, my Prunus campanulata x incisa 'Okame' from evergreen gardenworks will trunk up quicker than kojo-no-mai, has nice small flowers and leaves. I think it is more coarse than kojo-no-mai

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
I have thought for awhile now you could make a decent mixed azalea forest. Being using dwarf varieties out on the edge, and so on. Just a thought as I am tempted at some stage anyway.
Charles

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Prunus generally flower quite young. Cherry and peach can both flower at 2 or 3 years. Plums maybe 3 or 4 years from seed. Pears definitely a much longer term prospect.
Pyracantha and Cotoneaster flower at 3-4 years from seed here and both are small enough to make convincing forest small enough to manage as bonsai.
Leptospermum and Callistemon are Aussie natives and can flower 3-4 years from seed but may need to be pampered a bit in NYC winters. Most are hardy down to a bit below freezing but probably not zone 7?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are many good choices for your project both listed above and not. Just be certain that the plants chosen are suitable for your climate. Check with garden centers and particularly with bonsai people and groups in your area.
Cuttings from a single plant would be most reliable, but there are growers of pre-bonsai material who could probably provide established plants that are clones or at least closely related. Evergreen Gardenworks comes to mind. I have several crabapples from this source that I have purchased for just this effect. They have just been growing for the past year, but next year they will be planted together to someday simulate an old abandoned orchard. Cotoneaster is also good for this effect.

Last edited:

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
Prunus generally flower quite young. Cherry and peach can both flower at 2 or 3 years. Plums maybe 3 or 4 years from seed. Pears definitely a much longer term prospect.
Pyracantha and Cotoneaster flower at 3-4 years from seed here and both are small enough to make convincing forest small enough to manage as bonsai.
Leptospermum and Callistemon are Aussie natives and can flower 3-4 years from seed but may need to be pampered a bit in NYC winters. Most are hardy down to a bit below freezing but probably not zone 7?
Thank you for all of the suggestions!
The best option probably is air layers: I'll pick up a nice variety from Evergreen Gardenworks as a mother plant. Spirea is also an interesting option, as I already have a few in the garden, but despite the lovely small leaves and blooms, the bush on my garden is distinctly un-tree-like, reminds me more of a rose's habit of throwing canes. I'd have to look for a more cooperative cultivar, I think.

In the meantime, I'll order some Prunus spp. seed: the literature I found confirmed Shibui's experience that the juvenile period is actually fairly short, < 5 years, while Malus can quite long, > 10 yrs.
[Links for the interested: https://sci-hub.hkvisa.net/doi.org/10.1080/00221589.1993.11516406 https://sci-hub.hkvisa.net/https://www.actahort.org/books/56/56_26.htm & doi.org/10.1038/s41438-021-00648-2] There's also stands of wild beach plum near me, I could look for some suckers.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Somee great choices.

Personally I’d go for crabs if you want a gnarly, hardy, ancient looking forest in a decent time. I have one I started from seedlings from a BNutter @Mike Hennigan. They are in their 4th year and the flock is starting to fly.

Again Bret at Evergreen GW has some awesome choices and a couple good articles on these. If you are working with him you might ask him for ideas.

Cheers
DSD sends

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
I talked with Brent and he recommended Malus sargentii in particular. Patiently waiting for the gallon size to come into stock.... :)

In the meantime, I placed an order for 10 Prunus maritima seedlings from https://www.nh.gov/nhnursery/ As far as I was told, they are more than happy to sell out of state, and I'll be getting them in mid-April. They'd need to be grown out for a few years first, but the pictures looked surprisingly substantial.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
ooo, they have a fancy new online store. I need more seedlings like I need a hole in the head, but it's so tempting...

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
The biggest size of firs or spruce they have are a good deal. Real shame though that they can't or won't send hemlock out of NH

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Why don't you try Curry Leaf tree :Botanical Name Murraya Koenigii Family Rutaceae
If you can find some seeds from somewhere
That way you can use the leaf for cooking as well 😁

Top Bottom