Suggestions for Red Alder substrate mix

olneya

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm new to bonsai, been doing it for about a year or two now. I've got a red alder in my drive way that I'm planning on collecting this spring but I'm not sure about which substrate mix to use. I've got pumice, lava rock, and peat moss on hand, does any one have a ratio recommendations? Thanks! (sorry for blurry photo)20201123_110416.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice!

When sprouting SPECKLED alder seeds LAST year, I the same mostly inorganic aggregate substrate I use for most seeds... they all sprouted just fine.. but it became quickly apparent (as with my kiwis) that the root structure HATED that soil...

So I while I have no directly helpful information... I can recommend a soil/substrate blend with a prominent in-organic presence with SOME confidence.. I’d go pine bark and peat in addition to my standard inorganic mix. (Adding more perlite also.. for ratio)

I have a weird love for Alders... I like yours.

🤓

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I'm new to bonsai, been doing it for about a year or two now. I've got a red alder in my drive way that I'm planning on collecting this spring but I'm not sure about which substrate mix to use. I've got pumice, lava rock, and peat moss on hand, does any one have a ratio recommendations? Thanks! (sorry for blurry photo)View attachment 343093
40% pumice, 30% lava, 30% peat+perlite usually works well.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The carving is sloppy, or you used the wrong bumper.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some call it too close to the driveway....

Some call it "where did this guy get his f_@king license? A Cracker Jack Box?"....

Welcome to Crazy!

Nice lil start!

Sorce

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’m growing red alder (Alnus rubra) and white alder (A rhombifolia). They grow near and often in water. I’m using a mix of 1/3 pumice, 1/3 lava and 1/3 fine for bark with at least daily watering. They have been doing well for a few years are native to my area, too.

olneya

Seedling
Reaction score
The carving is sloppy, or you used the wrong bumper.
Was probably a tire that ran it over, either way I'm excited to see what I can do with it. I'm thinking cascade. Here in Alaska they're mostly found on roadsides and disturbed ground. Some older logging roads have been completed taken back by the alder.

Top Bottom