Suggestions for species that grow well in high altitudes(+7000') in Utah.

Crassula king

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am on a south facing slope that gets lots of sun. I would like to get a few trees that I would not have to be quite as meticulous with their care for them to thrive.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be trying bristlecone pine.
Mugo pine will also do well.
All kinds of junipers.
Japanese maple.
There are lots of choices for where you live.
There are members here that live in those regions that will be able to guide you even better.

Crassula king

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for the input. It has been many years since I have owned a juniper and I really should give them another go.
I would be trying bristlecone pine.
Mugo pine will also do well.
All kinds of junipers.
Japanese maple.
There are lots of choices for where you live.
There are members here that live in those regions that will be able to guide you even better.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You'd have to say what your definition of meticulous is, but any cold climate conifer should work. Learn how to collect, get a permit and get into those mountains!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ponderosa Pine
Rocky Mountain Juniper
Utah Juniper

Would be a good place to start

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not quite as "elevated" as you, but look around at what grows on the rest of the mountainsides where you're at. Rocky mountain juniper, gamble oak, bigtooth maple, ponderosa pine, white pine, btistlecone pine, Colorado blue spruce. Stay away from Japanese black pine, trident maple, sorry.

Crassula king

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You'd have to say what your definition of meticulous is, but any cold climate conifer should work. Learn how to collect, get a permit and get into those mountains!
I would define meticulous as anything outside of normal repotting, pruning, daily watering/feeding. Mostly creating special conditions like increasing humidity.

Crassula king

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm not quite as "elevated" as you, but look around at what grows on the rest of the mountainsides where you're at. Rocky mountain juniper, gamble oak, bigtooth maple, ponderosa pine, white pine, btistlecone pine, Colorado blue spruce. Stay away from Japanese black pine, trident maple, sorry.
I actually have collected a bigtooth maple that is doing pretty good and am thinking about grabbing another before the buds break. Have you had much luck with rocky mountain juniper? I have tons on my parents land that I can collect without a permit.

Crassula king

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dang, I have about 35 trident maple seedlings. The 7 or so from last year seemed to make it through the winter alright but that may be due to wintering them in a greenhouse.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah the greenhouse saved them. You asked what would thrive on mountainside at 7000' in Utah...

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got 100% survival so far at collecting juniper. I dug it earlier this spring...;).

You can add acer campestre,/hedge maple to the list. Pinus sylvestris, Scots pine... I'll keep thinking.

Top Bottom