Suggestions on overwintering in rainy Seattle

ShadyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Apologies if this has already been covered! I have done some researching but have gotten some inconsistent information, probably due to different climate environments but I’m wondering if anyone has some suggestions for overwintering in Seattle. We can expect our temperatures to drop into the mid 20s at times, snow may or may not fall, but we can definitely expect some lengthy periods of rain. I’m wondering what the general guidelines are for this kind of environment and wether or not it’s safe to leave my bonsai out in their current locations or if I should move them to a more covered spot. All of my bonsai currently sit either south facing or west facing, depending on the tree type, with no overhangs. I can leave them where they are or I can move them to a south facing covered balcony that sits off of our 2nd story. I am currently leaning towards moving them here if needed as they would still get decent sunlight but won’t get drowned by the rain. I’m not sure if I would have to protect them from frost at that location or not. A third option would be to buy a super basic ‘green house’ structure, like the kind on Amazon that’s basically a metal shelf structure with polythene sheeting for weather protection. So I guess I’m wondering if they can survive the rainy season, and how hardy are most of these trees to periods of frost? Can they stay out in the open, or should I move them to a covered patio or to a sheet covered shelf. I have the following:
-juniper
-azalea
-Hokkaido elm
-cottoneaster
-Japanese maple

thanks for the info!

Thomas Mitchell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My pines, maples and azaleas have been kept outside, shielded from wind but normally, that's it. Using a well-drained substrate helps with the rain. Not that much falls, it's just that nothing ever dries out. I have heard anecdotally that the biggest problem with Junipers is keeping deadwood from rotting. Can't help you with the others but I'm sure other PNW'ers will chime in.

If we had an unusually cold stretch outside our zone norm, I might do something more but that's an exception. YMMV

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My trees sit outside year 'round. I don't have an Hokkaido elm any longer, but do have 50-some different species inclusive of the five you list.

Once the old Janx Spirit blew in from the Frazier River valley and temps dropped below 15F --> I brought everything into the garage overnight. Otherwise, everything sit on the benches or on the ground all winter. Temperatures below 15F are a root issue with most species. Most winters here it stays above 20F.

I use Turface MVP for just about everything. I've only had troubles with junipers in shallow pots (2" deep or less) drowning over the winter (not a problem with a larger grained substrate or deeper pots). Consequently I prop them up on one side (switching to the other every few weeks). Ironically, my biggest winter issue over the years has been letting trees desiccate over the winter. Three or four rainless days is all it takes --> watering can be and is necessary, despite all the rain on those other days.

Last edited:

ShadyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks guys! I figured the maples would be fine as I have some large ones in containers that I’ve had for years with no issues but am a bit unfamiliar with some of my other species so just wanted to double check before I freak out and buy stuff I don’t need 🤣 thanks for the tips!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you’re not fully sure of drainage during the rains place a block of wood, a narrow brick, or anything flat like that under one side. The objective is to gravity feed the water to a drainage hole. If you do tilt, make sure there is a drainage hole to send the water out. I’ve raised one end of some trees by about 2” during periods of a lot of rain. Just favor stability by using the lift fully across an entire side. Experiment with the right placement….if in fact you have a drainage issue and the gravity drainage is really needed.

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm in North Seattle. The only thing I shelter from the rain is my Seiju elm. I don't want the corky bark staying wet. Other than that, when the chance of snow occurs I put them on the ground huddled together and let them get piled on. I've got azalea, black, white, mugo,and scots pine, blue cedar, hinoki cypress, various juniper, multiple varieties of japanese maple, wisteria, crabapple, plum, willow, quince. I'm sure I'm forgetting some but my point is that, outside plants usually do fine with just a few precautions and well draining soil. Try not to overthink it and keep it simple.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The only thing I am sure to put in a cold shelter are all the satsuki and any young seedlings that are received from warmer places in Oct or later. These are misted as needed. I do have multiple satsuki in ground growing out.

The rest of the trees are buried on the sheltered side of the house under the tall rhododendrons. These are buried just below the pot rim atop bark nuggets for good drainage, with sifted bark nuggets on the surface. This includes multiple junipers. Not so picky with some-trees like the maples. Haven’t had to water much with this method.

I rotate too and also spray with copper fungicide 2x the winter.

Two things pop to mind as I’m the cautious type .
1. Protect all from wind.
2. Freezing and azaleas. If it’s a Kurume, likely ok on the ground. If a satsuki I’d go the extra mile to protect your investment, unless you know it’s a hardy cultivar.

Good luck
DSD sends

Last edited:

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree. Protect from wind is critical. My seedling are placed on the ground in a flowerbed on the east side of my house next to the foundation. the combination of being on the earth and next to the house foundation was enough to protect them even during the certain years we endured 12 or more inches of snow.
One caution if you decide to have them on the ground, especially if you mulch the containers. In my yard we have a population of mice and voles (next to a powerline right of way). Be careful. Check your mulch occasionally to avoid a nasty surprise from the hungry critters in the spring.
Also, despite our fabled rain, it is necessary to water occasionally during the winter.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All but Sago palms and Citrus trees stay on deck/normal home 365 days a year. Except for late Spring freeze one time all have done well😌.

Top Bottom