Suggestions on where to air layer this white mulberry?

half_adder

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A huge white mulberry tree fell down in my yard last summer. This branch grew out of the stump and I've been letting it survive so I can air layer it. I'm planning on doing that this weekend. Any suggestions on where to air layer? My tentative plan is to remove a strip of bark in the middle of the swollen bulbous part at the bottom so that the top half of that swollen bulb becomes the bottom-most part of the trunk. Thoughts?

1682094721011.png
Untitled-1.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Pity you can't go a bit lower to include that first bend but I assume there's reverse taper below the bulge?
If that's so I expect the site you have chosen would be the best bet. Great to see you are not planning to layer at right angles to the trunk.

Drohnen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Pity you can't go a bit lower to include that first bend but I assume there's reverse taper below the bulge?
If that's so I expect the site you have chosen would be the best bet. Great to see you are not planning to layer at right angles to the trunk.

Not to air layer at a right angle to the trunk. This is a great thing to think about for novices like me! Great comment.

Top Bottom