Suiseki in suiban

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
I attended the Golden State Bonsai Federation convention in Santa Clara California last weekend. I bought this suiseki and suiban in the vendor's area, The suiban is 12 inches across,

Attachments

• gsbf-stone.jpg
    gsbf-stone.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool rock, quick glance it kind of looks like St Helens, w/ the blowout.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
It made me feel a cold shiver when I looked at it. That's a good one.

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice - add a touch of refinement with the sand, raise the sand level, smooth it out. Then, oh yeah. Great suiseki. :)

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful illusion of a distant mountain.

It may not be proper to ask this, but....is it cut? If it is, then I am thinking that I can afford such a beauty myself, but if it isn't, then I probably can't.
(If you don't feel like answering it, I'll understand..:))

Last edited:

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Beautiful illusion of a distant mountain.

It may not be proper to ask this, but....is it cut? If it is, then I am thinking that I can afford such a beauty myself, but if it isn't, then I probably can't.
(If you don't feel like answering it, I'll understand..:))

Attila
It is cut. Why should it matter? As with a bonsai, or any work of art, the final presentation is the difference. Art is the result of human intervention.

Mike

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Attila
It is cut. Why should it matter? As with a bonsai, or any work of art, the final presentation is the difference. Art is the result of human intervention.

Mike

I know. Don't worry about it, it's a wonderful piece.

I can't really explain my feelings on this, I wish I could. I just know that there are things in this world that excite me beyond reason, and things that don't. It doesn't matter what the reason behind it, why should or should not happen, it is beyond the rational. So it is with the cut and uncut stones. It is kind of like the image of Virgin Mary on the burnt toast. If I draw her image on the toast, it is trivial. But if it happens by accident, without my intervention, due to a malfunction of my toaster....it is priceless. Same image, created under different circumstances, by different forces.

The nature of art is complex and mysterious. Beyond the visible to the eye, there are many more layers, mostly invisible.

Last edited:

Mike Page

Mame
Reaction score
Another view

Different viewing angle with black sand.

Attachments

• suiseki-suiban-black.jpg
    suiseki-suiban-black.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 47
Top Bottom