summer air layering practice?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
#1 I love this forum search feature...

#2, I love that you guys have all went through this process and can save me headaches. I'm going to start some layers in the next week or so on Maple, Ficus, and probable a juniper as well. I was skeptical mainly for the Maples and Junipers, but The last couple from post @Mike Hennigan and @Dav4 pretty much sum it all up! Thank you everyone. Great thread!

EDIT: Having done my very first layer earlier this year and fighting with the chopped up moss ball and the nightmare that is..... I'm intrigued by something @Saddler mentioned using soil.... Would DE suffice? Maybe DE and moss together to make sure it doesn't dry out? Thoughts?

When I use a pot of bonsai soil instead of sphagnum, I still put a layer of sphagnum at the very bottom, and on the top, just to give me some latitude in case I'm late with watering.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
When I use a pot of bonsai soil instead of sphagnum, I still put a layer of sphagnum at the very bottom, and on the top, just to give me some latitude in case I'm late with watering.

Thats a good idea. Do you chop it up?

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Question.
Would you recommend to cut growth above after separation? Is it beneficial to reduce evaporation so new roots can supply enough water to separated plant?
Thanks

1533816516220.png
So according to your experience, what is the good time for separation from the mother tree, in moderate climate? Pictures of my two layers on my maple from the weekend.

View attachment 199480
View attachment 199479

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your plants need leaves to grow, helping in establishment & sealing cuts. I personally would not cut them off. (I would probably have trimmed the plant in early spring, before leavegrowth, so I would have had a more compact plant for layering. Something for next time?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Question.
Would you recommend to cut growth above after separation? Is it beneficial to reduce evaporation so new roots can supply enough water to separated plant?
Thanks

View attachment 205053

Maros, I always cut back all my maple air layers to help manage demand on the roots. However I have never cut them back to just bare trunks. I think it's important to keep leaves on it as it will help the layer get itself stablished and roots developing. I'd also be worried that all new growth at this stage will die back as is late in the season.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Question.
Thanks

View attachment 205053
If they will have another push of growth this year, I would cut them back, but leave them attached to the parent plant. Once they start pushing new leaves, then cut.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
If they will have another push of growth this year, I would cut them back, but leave them attached to the parent plant. Once they start pushing new leaves, then cut.
It is already removed. So had to decide what to do. Seems I messed things up during the process. It was developing well but after I checked roots month ago I was not sure there's enough roots. So I added new moss and wrapped again. Seems like I didn't manged to keep it wet enough afterwards(holidays, work, too hot...shit)
Your plants need leaves to grow, helping in establishment & sealing cuts. I personally would not cut them off. (I would probably have trimmed the plant in early spring, before leavegrowth, so I would have had a more compact plant for layering. Something for next time?
Yeah, I should have trimed and prepare it better. Next time.
Maros, I always cut back all my maple air layers to help manage demand on the roots. However I have never cut them back to just bare trunks. I think it's important to keep leaves on it as it will help the layer get itself stablished and roots developing. I'd also be worried that all new growth at this stage will die back as is late in the season.
I cut them of the mother plant already. Had to cut back like you proposed since one layer was struggling.
What is that substrate you used for the layer?
It is Terramol with moss. Maybe some Zeolite in the mix as well.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I have a few soon to be airlayers I have been working on building branch structure with it on the parent plant for three or four years now. The cuts heal fast, lots of vigour. My goal is to get all the primary branches in place and cut back when I want to start the secondary, let it start to leaf out and the cut off the parent. The tight internodes will give me lots of options. At least that is the plan.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You can leave all the leaves if you have sufficient aftercare. If you can maintain 100% humidity, the more leaves the better for rapid root growth. 2nd pic is a week after separation, under 50% shade cloth and timed mist. Very little leaf damage so far (most of the browning predated separation).

Attachments

• IMG_20180804_135324.jpg
    IMG_20180804_135324.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20180810_075151.jpg
    IMG_20180810_075151.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180804_134128.jpg
    IMG_20180804_134128.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 22
Top Bottom