Summer Bonsai Academy

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mr. Gary Davis, current president of PBS, came to the bonsai academy today for a demo. Did a great job from nursery pot to bonsai pot. Explained the potting process.
Great guy super talented. Thanks Gary!
20210611_092609.jpg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trees did really well over the weekend. Moved a couple on the bench so they can get some shade faster in the afternoon. Did put up a 60-70% shade cloth. Somewhere between 111-119f expected today. Not time for rolling the dice to see if they survive. Another AZ bonsai lesson.
20210614_103531.jpg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20210614_124143.jpg

TEMPS so hot today brought the show inside..

Today's activity with the first graders-- Bonsai Styles. Lined up 8 different trees that (roughly) fit the characteristics of formal upright, literati, semi cascade, forest, double trunk, root over rock, slanted, and informal upright. Had all the styles written down with a picture. Explained the styles and had the kids go up to the bonsai and write down the number they thought matched the style. One kid got 7 out of 8 right. Fun activity.

Also did some tree work with the 5th graders...listened to some lofi jazz (it's a thing) and talked the kids through 13 different things to look for when trimming trees. One example...cross over branches. I talked a little about it and showed them an example of it. They found them on the trees they were working on and cut them out.
Little nerve wracking turning them loose on my trees but they did such a great job!
Really good day at the academy today.
33793.jpeg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Using the DAG pots for the teachers and aides who taught at summer schools. The pots the kids made are cooling off in the kiln right now.

My daughter Grace potted these up.
33858.jpeg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mrs. Jenna Williams from PBS stopped by the bonsai academy for a demo today. Jenna is fresh off of securing her certificate as a Bonsai Basics Instructor and she brought her "A" game today. Great job Jenna!

20210615_090409.jpg
20210615_091028.jpg

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Mrs. Jenna Williams from PBS stopped by the bonsai academy for a demo today. Jenna is fresh off of securing her certificate as a Bonsai Basics Instructor and she brought her "A" game today. Great job Jenna!

View attachment 380802
View attachment 380803

Can U ask Mrs. Williams if I can borrow the triangle for styling my trees also? ;)

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
She had a few of them. Good visual for the kids to see the general shape of the apex in bonsai. She did a great job of explaining pad structure with them as well. She is taking Boon Manakitiviparts Intensive classes I believe.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai Show tomorrow! Artwork by the younger grades. Parts of a tree diagram and how/what to prune. Small pots were made by 4th & 5th graders. Kids in 3rd-5th grade received portulacaria. Teachers and aides received a DAG pot and plant. Just shy of 100 plants passed out. Open to the20210617_101122.jpg public tomorrow from 8:00-8:30.

Top Bottom