Summer Chocolate Mimosa Cuttings

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
From what I understand about these trees, propagation is primarily from cuttings taken in late winter, or from trying to root the offsets.

I have tried both ways and neither seem to work

Has anyone here had any experience trying to root cuttings from these?

If so, did you take the cuttings in winter?
What kind of medium did you use?
With root warming I assume?

I'd even go with air layering----but can't find a lot of info

Thanks in advance

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
I have just got my mimosa 2 days ago and have been looking for one for longer than i have been doing bonsai. The only usefull info i have on the species is they do very well from root cuttings or so say all the gardenong books i have read which cover mimosa i am hoping to try once mine is a bit more established. What is the difference between standard and chocolate mimosa ?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A "mimosa" may not be the same plant in the UK, as it is in the US.

Albizia julibrissin, whose other common name is "Silk Tree," is a very common invasive ornamental here in the States. It is in the legume family.

There are a number of other "mimosa" species, though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimosa

A chocolate mimosa is a dark leaved variety of the silk tree. Care would basically be the same.

As bonsai, they're mostly graceless, awkward and kind of ugly. I've only seen one (by Bill Valavanis) that was a nice bonsai.

Since silk tree is vastly hardy, I'd simply skip the cuttings and dig one up. You don't need to get many roots if you do and since it's an invasive, you'd be doing the local flora a favor.

Cuttings should be taken in spring and summer, since silk tree is borderline subtropical in habit.

I

Gandalph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Since silk tree is vastly hardy, I'd simply skip the cuttings and dig one up. You don't need to get many roots if you do and since it's an invasive, you'd be doing the local flora a favor.

Cuttings should be taken in spring and summer, since silk tree is borderline subtropical in habit.

I

I really wish I could find some to just dig up !! Seems that is not an option as from what I read, the seeds revert back to the regular run of the mill Mimosa.

Does anyone have any suggestions with how to root the cuttings once taken?

Here are some photos:

Top Bottom