Summer display

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
A few months ago while picking up some ProMix at a feed store I looked around in their nursery yard. I noticed a couple of interesting new hydrangeas which I've never seen before. I was not looking for anything in particular, just looking and my eye was caught by the shape of the hydrangeas. Note I was looking at shapes, not species. Two specimens had beautiful natural untouched shapes and I purchased the most interesting plant.

The new plant, Great Star Panicle Hydrangea, Hydrangea paniculata 'Le Vasterival', was growing in a two gallon can and I took it home and potted it in an expensive Japanese Tokoname ware Japanese container from the Reiho Kiln. Over 25 years ago I had three special containers custom made in special colors for some trees. Those bonsai are now too large and the container is broken, but repaired.

Only a couple of branches were pruned and a couple pulled down with guy wires. This plant continues to dry out quite quickly and it now sits in a shallow basin of water, thus the name "Hydrangea."

I've been watching and studying this plant waiting for the delicate white flowers. Some did not understand this bonsai or the subtle beauty, but I liked it and wanted to share it with visitors today.

Enjoy the summer display in my studio tokonoma alcove.

Attachments

• SUMMER.jpg
    SUMMER.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 112
  • FLOWERS.jpg
    FLOWERS.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 82

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
always appreciate you sharing...
sadly, I'm in the process of downsizing and loosing my tokonoma. hope to continue display with seki (tabletop) tho won't be the same....

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I was looking at your toko and it suddenly hit me that your floor is raised. Not anything I've seen before, yet how easy to set the elements. And since your quests are not in a home and sitting on the floor, it's perfectly eye level as they wander thru their tour. Brilliant!
I'm trying to find a place in the new setting to make a toko....

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I was looking at your toko and it suddenly hit me that your floor is raised. Not anything I've seen before, yet how easy to set the elements. And since your quests are not in a home and sitting on the floor, it's perfectly eye level as they wander thru their tour. Brilliant!

That's pretty standard in a Japanese house.

Top Bottom