Summer juniper pruning help.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
This tree has grown particular well and will be styled this fall. Now I would like to cut back spring growth to continue healthy growth and allow sunlight into the interior of the tree.

My plan is the following:
Cut out crotch growth
Cut back bottom hanging growth.

any other suggestions?

Or should I let the tree continue to grow?

Attachments

• IMG_20180603_190354931.jpg
    IMG_20180603_190354931.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20180603_190346597.jpg
    IMG_20180603_190346597.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 68

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Now I would like to cut back spring growth to continue healthy growth and allow sunlight into the interior of the tree.

My plan is the following:
Cut out crotch growth
Cut back bottom hanging growth.

Good plan and honest go no further... Leave it in the grow box and work on style/pads next season after seeing how it responds naturally. Hella nice piece to work with!

Grimmy

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Crotch growth my be your friend?.

Sometimes when you thin and declutter the outside it’s the stuff out of crotches that grows with vigour and density so don’t take it all away, clusters coming from the same spot thinned. Thinning out the weak stuff triggers nice new growth especially those interior long single fronds, temping to keep them but they don’t grow anyways. Cut them out and new buds appear where they were, the entire branch shortened later. Lots of thinning and don’t take out all the crotch growth is my thought. My pic example may not be great, rushed. 7FFDCD76-AB10-4690-A831-BA44A1C9B682.jpegAD2C0E46-C964-4BDF-AD53-3A05C1BC4C7E.jpeg

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Good plan and honest go no further... Leave it in the grow box and work on style/pads next season after seeing how it responds naturally. Hella nice piece to work with!

Grimmy
Ok, appreciate the feedback.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Crotch growth my be your friend?.

Sometimes when you thin and declutter the outside it’s the stuff out of crotches that grows with vigour and density so don’t take it all away, clusters coming from the same spot thinned. Thinning out the weak stuff triggers nice new growth especially those interior long single fronds, temping to keep them but they don’t grow anyways. Cut them out and new buds appear where they were, the entire branch shortened later. Lots of thinning and don’t take out all the crotch growth is my thought. My pic example may not be great, rushed. View attachment 195370View attachment 195369
Thank you!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree on crotch growth...
Don't just leave em all....

But even in the event they created a bulgy end....
While ugly....
Cutting ALL the way back to it may create buds further back , which can be cut back to later ....removing the ugly...and compacting your tree.

I been "here and there" plucking minor stuff lately.

Sorce

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I agree on crotch growth...
Don't just leave em all....

But even in the event they created a bulgy end....
While ugly....
Cutting ALL the way back to it may create buds further back , which can be cut back to later ....removing the ugly...and compacting your tree.

I been "here and there" plucking minor stuff lately.

Sorce
This week I'll cut this tree back. Hopefully style this fall with Mauro.

Top Bottom