Summer Re-Pot of Crepe Myrtle

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have never had a bonsai crepe myrtle before but I picked one up about a month ago and did some light pruning while still in nursery pot. It is a dwarf, Bellini Grape and it is very healthy and beautiful little plant with great form. Is there a protocol for re-potting crepe myrtle in the summer? Or should I wait until next spring?
Thank you.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Unless it's living in axle grease now, waiting until spring is your best bet. "....it's very healthy...." is your main clue. If the water's draining well and it's healthy , it's MUCH better to leave it alone until spring.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If there is no rush, I would wait. The golden rule of bonsai: "Nothing good happens fast" :)

That said, crepe myrtle is the strongest and fastest growing plant species that I own. I have a big chunky one that I bought at a nursery center two years ago, trunk pruned from 10' down to 12", transplanted into an Anderson flat and pumice, wired all the new growth, and the trunk scars are well on their way to being healed already. I have just defoliated it for the second time this year 😲 So they can take certainly take abuse.

JefeW

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m a total rookie for bonsai, but I know my crepe myrtles. You could do anything to it now if it’s healthy, but I would wait until spring if you aren’t in a rush. By spring I mean late spring when nights are above 45. The only thing that can set you back is the cold. (If it’s healthy.)

Pin-moneypyro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just walked outback and my garden center crepe has blooms coming, not even sure of the color...12+years in training, thinking though i hope you hadn't repotted yours, brutal weather even on west coast, going to wait at least early spring here on east coast, like its said no hurry...

Top Bottom